Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:13 PM   #1

They are OK, I understand that for professional photography exact color rendition is what accepted, but to me they are little bland. I just want more saturated colours, similar to my other camera CANIN A80-now , THAT were colours... Jus like FUJICHROM VELVIA- saturated and vivid. I already rised the saturation in the camera settings to max, still not close to A 80. I surely can manage this in PS, but Iexpected more bright images straight out of the camera.

Suggestions?
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:49 PM   #2

Are you shooting in jpeg or raw mode?
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:54 PM   #3

both
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 4:24 PM   #4

I'm not sure what to tell you in jpeg mode. In raw, there is no increased saturation from camera settings, you simply get what the sensor sees. In jpeg mode of course it does use the program settings to enhance color/sharpness, etc...

You may simply be noticing the fact that Canon Point and shoot digicams have a very high color saturation. Their dSLRs don't seem to be as saturated in general, which is good in my opinion. Of course, make sure you're getting proper exposure. Are you using a filter on the lens? Some of them can alter colors.

I think most likely you're just adjusting to the difference between a P & S cam and a dSLR.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:46 PM   #5
DMW

I went from a DX6490 to a RebelXT and the first thing I did was max out all the saturation levels.

I have since found that I needed to put them back to stock as I found that some colours were over the top, red in particular.

I agree with G35Guythat you just need to get used to the DLSR.
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:58 PM   #6
Super Moderator

you just need to retrain your "eyes" to appreciate the natural colors.. and when you really need the velvia look, get to know "curves" and other saturation boosting methods in PS..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 3:42 PM   #7

I agree with the above mentioned comments. If you want Velvia-like color and saturation, create an action in PS to mimic it. I did and now all I have to do is to make one click, and I have virtual-Velvia. Remeber, this is digital...processing is a must to get the desired look. Good luck and have fun!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:37 AM   #8

80, you always have the right answer. Nice...............
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:57 PM   #9

If you are comparing Digital to Film (Velvia), check to see if your monitor is calibrated. It is going to be really tough to get your digital prints on screen to match your printed filmprints.

Also, are you using the same service to print each of these photos (Digital & Film)?

I am sure you are speaking in general to the overall color saturation. If so, you may just need to take the advice of the above posts and tweak the photo in PS and so on.

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:15 PM   #10

Imacer wrote:
Quote:
80, you always have the right answer. Nice...............

cause hards is the SHH... he's my idol!
barnesquared is offline   Reply With Quote