Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2005, 10:55 PM   #1

I am in the process of deciding which flash to buy for a 20d and have a couple of questions.

Does the 550EX flash have an autofocus assist that is compatible with the 20d?

Pros/Cons considering the Sigma 500 flash.

Thanks!
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:46 AM   #2

First question - yes the 550ex has a focus assist beam.

The sigma 500 DG Super (must say DG and Super) was reverse engineered from the 550ex and has most of the same features at substantially less cost.

The 550ex has a slightly better guide number I believe (but not much) and has a slightly better build quality. Otherwise the two are extremely similar.

The only other advice if you get the sigma - make sure you get the Canon EOS compatible (just like getting EOS mount lenses).

I have the Sigma 500 DG Super with a 20d and love it - it's a great flash.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:39 PM   #3

I, too, am considering the Sigma 500 DG Super flash to use with my 20D.

I already own the Canon 380EX flash, and was wondering if and how I could use the 380EX as an off-camera slave once I have a better flash for the 20D.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I wanted to thank everyone out there who has replied to my queries - I really appreciate the free education!

gordonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:48 PM   #4

I also have the Sigma, and it works great with my 20D and my drebel. Gordon, as far as using your 380EX off camera if it has slave capabilities it should be no problem. If it doesn't you could pick up an optical slave sensor which will trigger it from another flash. I have a couple of these that I use with some older Vivitar flashes and they work really well as long as no one else around you is using a flash. My slave sensors are made by Sonia and were about $12 on e-bay. They have a metal hot shoe that your flash sits in and then they can be mounted on a tripod or light stand.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 5:08 AM   #5
NHL

gordonj wrote:
Quote:
I, too, am considering the Sigma 500 DG Super flash to use with my 20D.

I already own the Canon 380EX flash, and was wondering if and how I could use the 380EX as an off-camera slave once I have a better flash for the 20D.

Any suggestions?
You can only do this in the manual mode - If I recall correctly the discontinued 380EX does not support the wireless E-TTL mode of the newer digital camera (i.e. no metering from the camera and the preflash would trigger it): http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/camera...ype=canon380ex
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote