Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:22 PM   #1

Hi all,

I found a used Rebel 300d for sale for a sweet price,but the seller had this to say about a possible problem with the camera : "I attatched a lens kit and took about 50 pictures.It did not want to take a picturewhen the lens was in "auto" mode.When the problem occurred, it was as if I had not pressed the "take picture" button. When it was in "manual" mode,the problemdid not seem to happen. I was told that sometimes, it would read "CF Card Error", but I was not able to verify that."

I emailed him back asking to elaborate on the problem and he added: " i attatched a lens from a different camera and put it in AF mode. When I pressed the shutter button, it did not autofocus or take a picture. When I had the lens in MF mode, it worked fine."

He is selling the body only. Can anybody tell me if this sounds like just a dud lens he tried or if it's an actual problem with the camera. If it is a camera problem how much to fix? I don't think the seller is the owner from the descriptions he gave. The price listed is at that borderline where it's too much for a faulty camera to have fixedbut too good a deal to pass if it works OK.

Thanks for any help.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2005, 6:49 PM   #2

gipper51 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

I found a used Rebel 300d for sale for a sweet price,but the seller had this to say about a possible problem with the camera : "I attatched a lens kit and took about 50 pictures.It did not want to take a picturewhen the lens was in "auto" mode.When the problem occurred, it was as if I had not pressed the "take picture" button. When it was in "manual" mode,the problemdid not seem to happen. I was told that sometimes, it would read "CF Card Error", but I was not able to verify that."

I emailed him back asking to elaborate on the problem and he added: " i attatched a lens from a different camera and put it in AF mode. When I pressed the shutter button, it did not autofocus or take a picture. When I had the lens in MF mode, it worked fine."

He is selling the body only. Can anybody tell me if this sounds like just a dud lens he tried or if it's an actual problem with the camera. If it is a camera problem how much to fix? I don't think the seller is the owner from the descriptions he gave. The price listed is at that borderline where it's too much for a faulty camera to have fixedbut too good a deal to pass if it works OK.

Thanks for any help.
To be honest, it sounds like a broken secondary Autofocus mirror: Which is the mirror underneath the main mirror in the shutter mechanism.

The only reason I know of the symptoms is from my camera, which I am having fixed right now.

Good luck... I would say, buyer beware.

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the heads up. This is what I was hoping to hear (sort of). I'm trying to find out from the seller if this is a camera or lens problem, but he doensn't seem to know too much.

Is this a costly fix or is it a "maintenance" type of issue.

Gipper
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:02 PM   #4

gipper51 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. This is what I was hoping to hear (sort of). I'm trying to find out from the seller if this is a camera or lens problem, but he doensn't seem to know too much.

Is this a costly fix or is it a "maintenance" type of issue.

Gipper
I have read, anywhere from 150.00 US dollars to 300.00 plus for a whole new shutter.

Mine is covered by a full warranty I took out.

I'm lucky.

-Tim
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote