Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:40 AM   #1

Hi folks,

Just signed on thought I'd give you a brief into if that's not the norm here, sorry.

Been into photography for 24 years, have owned many 35mm, Blad 500 c/m, first digital was the Dimage 7 the week it came out. I've shot some models, weddings and other functions, photo-journalist in the Army Reserves for a stint. Now, it's a nice "serious" hobby.

I've decided to go with the Canon EOS 20d for my first digital SLR. Since I'm not doing this for a living, I can't talk myself into the 1Ds Mark II for 7 G's.

Okay, so here's what I decided on (this is my first Canon by the way, but everything I've gleaned from reviews indicate this is the way to go.

Item Best Price I've found

Canon EOS 20d body 1244.00

24-70 f/2.8L USM 1119.00

70-200 f/2.8L IS USM 1659.00

580EX 369.00

Repair tech 3 yr. warranty 89.00

This is the best prices I could find for a reputable dealer PVDphoto.

I'll probably get the 10-22 EF-S 689.00 at some point too.

Questions: 1. Has anyone done business with PVDPhoto? What are your thoughts?

2. Anyone see any of these items at a better price?

3. What do you think of the 3yr warranty for 89.00 it includes a yearly

checkup/cleaning etc... of course the camera would need to be shipped.

Thanks,

Joe

jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:29 AM   #2
NHL

jlacasci wrote:
Quote:
Hi folks,
... have owned many 35mm, Blad 500 c/m, first digital was the Dimage 7 the week it came out...
That's the cameras I have (and still have) too...

Welcome to the club!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:47 AM   #3

PVDPhoto has no ratings or reviews on resellerratings :!:
http://www.resellerratings.com/resel...earch=PVDPhoto
They are New Jersrey based, looks like web/mail order place only.

Lowest price is not the best way to go, a lot of these low-balling stores strip out the packageing (batteries, charger, software) and then try to sell it back to you at a high markup.
Don't know if PVDPhoto is one of them, but you better be carefull before you give out your charge card number.

Generally if the price sounds too good, there is something wrong.
I tend to stick with places like http://bhphoto.com , that are safe, have a good reputation and have competitive prices.

Here is your equipment selection from BHphoto, cost is slightly more but you are pretty well sure you will get what you pay for.
I've also included the price of going with the Sigma EX professional equivelants.
Code:
EOS 20D 1299$
Canon: 24-70F2.8 L   1159$   Sigma 24-70F2.8 EX     439$
Canon: 70-200 F2.8 IS L 1659$ Sigma ----------------------
Canon: 70-200 F2.8 L  1139$  Sigma 70-700 F2.8 EX  839$
Canon 580EX     389$  Sigma 500DG  Super  239$
Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:59 AM   #4

If buying on the web, stick with the big guys, like B&H Photo. I have bought most of my stuff at buydig.com.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:26 PM   #5

Hey, thanks for the info... I've looked at the geniuscamera.com 800+ stuff and actually called them. No batteries, no cables etc... The wanted 400+ for a 59.00 charger. I've dealt with BH in the past so think I'll take your advice and spend the little extra there.

I've been reading alot about Canon Lens's especially the L series. While I'm not trying to make money with my camera's any more, I still am quite a stickler for top notch quality (I'm used to the images I got with the Hasselblad and the lenses with that set up. I can afford the Canon's I've listed, but I am curious about the Sigma's you've listed. The EX "pro" line is rated quite well and the price is right but, most of the info I've read from folks that do make a living with their camera say if you can afford the Canon L series then go with it. I've heard the IS system is unmatched, and the spead of the auto focus is also fantastic. The few I looked through were very impresive. Especially the 24-70!

I'm assuming you listed the Sigma's along sidemy Canon choices because you are a fan of the Sigma?Given the choice and the prices listedhere, do you think the Canon's are worththe extra cash?

Thanks,

Joe
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:33 PM   #6
NHL

jlacasci

I'm a Sigma fan too although like you I have the Hasselblad (and the smaller Bronica as well)...
I shoot almost exclusively with the EX lately (but have a couple of L primes in my collection). See my older posts with the results from theses EX lenses - I tend to shoot lot of actions so IS is not that critical to me... but the Sigma glass are top notch and their HSM are as speedy as the USM:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=11
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:41 PM   #7

Actually I use both Canon L and Sigma EX lenses as well, and one Tamron sp xr di :-).
Optically they are both very good, canon's build quality is silghtly better than the others.
Canon has IS in many lenses, while so far Sigma only has it in their 80-400 OS lens.

Canon has USM, Sigma has HSM(reverse enginered USM) but you need to make sure the lens you are looking at has it.

The only dslr that will come close to the haselblad at this point is the eos 1ds-mkii. :G

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:01 PM   #8

Yes I agree about the quality of the Blad, if the dang digital backon the blad didn't cost 12K I might go that way :?. Since I'm finally getting on board with dSLR and I'm buying it all new, I had to do a lot of research to pick a manufacture.Canon won out for me.IMHO I feel they are leading the pack with design and innovation for now and perhaps years to come. I'm sure some folks would pick Nikon or others, especially if they were loyal to that line or had a stock pile of lenses already. But, I'm buying it all now and decided on the Canon. I'm more concerned withlens quality than I am with the camera body at this point. I fully expect to replace the body in a few years but expect to own use the lenses for many, many years to come. So spending the extra now on the Canon L is well worth it to me.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for the help guys, more comments are always welcome.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Joe
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:15 PM   #9
NHL

jlacasci wrote:
Quote:
Yes I agree about the quality of the Blad, if the dang digital backon the blad didn't cost 12K I might go that way :?.
I thought the H1 costs less than that... and some ads tout free body with the digital back!
-> the lens is now AF!
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:51 PM   #10

To be honest, I haven't used the Hasselblad for quite some time, but last I looked some of the Imacon and even the V96xwere very, VERY expensive.

Joe