Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:29 PM   #1

Hi to all,

This coming weekend is the airshow at my hometown and with a recently purchased 300D with kit lens, can someone please post some notes on which settings to use in order to take some pictures of static aircraft while parked on the apron. Of course I can go ahead with full automatic shots but I would like some advises with regards to the various settings that this camera can offer and what would be best to use for such a situation.

Thanks to all.

amc072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:51 PM   #2

amc072 wrote:
Quote:
Hi to all,

This coming weekend is the airshow at my hometown and with a recently purchased 300D with kit lens, can someone please post some notes on which settings to use in order to take some pictures of static aircraft while parked on the apron. Of course I can go ahead with full automatic shots but I would like some advises with regards to the various settings that this camera can offer and what would be best to use for such a situation.

Thanks to all.

I own the exact same kit. Here's a few tips, especially for use outside in good light.

First, pay attention to what the camera tells you in the viewfinder. (IE, Shutter speed, focus lock, etc)

Next, for outside static shots: ISO 100 - 200, Apeture Mode works best, set it to 8.0 for the kit lens. This will increase it's sharpness (You'll still need to post process your photos though to be happy) and will get you the "crispness" you desire, especially around the edges of an object or person.

Then, just watch the shutter speed if it's overcast. You'll have to bumpthe ISO speed to 200-400, if it's dark. Adjust the apeture and ISO in accordance to each other asneeded.

That's it... =o) Good luck. And be sure to show off the shots.

OH!!! Most important thing. If it's SUPER bright outside (11:00AM -4:00PM) bright sunlight willoverexpose MANY of the objects it hits. I would anddoshoot both theD-Rebel and D-Rebel XT with 2/3rdsunderexposure on all photos. I can bring the exposure back upwhileusing RAWshots, or JPEGS, andthis free me to thinkmore of the scene.

Doublecheck your histrogram and adjust asneeded. =o)

And once again, be sure to showoff the photos!

-Tim Miller
tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 2:26 AM   #3

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tips mate. Do you have any shots yourself with shooting details available anywhere on the web?

Thanks
Old Sep 22, 2005, 9:38 AM   #4

amc072 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tips mate. Do you have any shots yourself with shooting details available anywhere on the web?

Thanks
Yep... my gallery is here: www.iciclelanding.com/tmp

Enjoy... the soccer shots are with a Promaster 70-300mm Telephoto, the rest are a mixture. If it looks remotely wideangle, it was with the kit.

Enjoy!

-Tim
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:35 AM   #5

http://www.pbase.com/crusader/transport

just click on the exif data and it will show you everything on each image you can convert from there
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:15 AM   #6

I just did the 2005 Great State of Maine Airshow at Brunswick, ME using the following: Canon EOS 300D w/ kit lens and a Sigma 70-300 zoom. I left the camera on "P" mode and was quite happy with results. If you would like to see some of my shots go to:

http://www.geocities.com/k1par/gallary.html

Enjoy the airshow!

k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:39 AM   #7

Hi there,

Thanks to all for your input. Well I managed to use my camera up till Friday morning only as all of a sudden after about 30 shots I got an error 99 and the camera functions no more.

I have just been to the supplier now and was advised that most probably it is the shutter mechanism. So I have to wait for repair. At least it is still under warranty....well at least is an understatement as I cannot believe such technology to go bad after only a couple of months of use and one could imagine my mood just this weekend.

Anyhow I will stop pitying myself and go to to see your shots. Hopefully it will be in my hands in no time at all.

Thanks to all.