Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 27, 2005, 6:21 AM   #1

I purchased a Digital Rebel XT about three weeks ago.

I just now started noticing two rather large spots on the upper right hand side of all my pictures. Any ideas what could be causing them?

Warning, large picture:

http://home.comcast.net/~aaronsv/balloon.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

Aaron

aaronsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2005, 6:25 AM   #2

Actually, now that I look at the pictures more closely, there are little spots all over the picture. Thanks again for any advice.

Aaron
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:04 AM   #3
NHL

It's time to clean the sensor!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:31 AM   #4

Oh dear,

do you think maybe you camera has measils... ?

:sad:

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 2:51 PM   #5

No, I don't think my camera has the measles. :-)

I have cleaned the sensor several times and no changes. However, I did remove my filter and noticed it had all kinds of tiny smudges or dust spots. Would this cause the same effect on the final picture?

Thanks. I apologize if these are stupid questions but I'm new.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:22 PM   #6
NHL

Dust (or scratches) on the filter is not seen by the camera - ie they are so far out of the focus plane that they may only affect the contrast!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:30 PM   #7

I purchased a Canon 20D last month, and as a bonus, got free confetti all over my sensor - factory direct. All kidding aside,..

I had to clean my sensor about TEN times with an air blower before I got rid of the dust specks. I checked after each cleaning and continued until I found it acceptable ( to me, no specks seen at F16, minimal number seen at F22+)

So, you may need to clean it more than once.

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:25 AM   #8

ArronSV - Betcha big money its dust on the sensor. Welcome to the not-so-fun- part of DSLRS.

You may have togo throughseveral "cleanings" to remove the debris. Get any one of the wet or dry tools/kits and go to work.

Research the threads here to find several threads that address methods of cleaning.

Couple key things to remember Don't use alcohol on the sensor (leaves residue). If you use 'wet' method, use "Eclipse" fluid only!! No Q-Tips inside !! Be sure your camera is OFF - otherwise sensor is charged and just attracts more dust as you try to clean off the old stuff. If you use the 'Visible Dust' (or similar) method - best pressure is about 1/3 to 1/2 of bristle length bending.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 5:23 PM   #9

Setiprime : how can you clean your Dsrl sensor if you keep power off??? When im cleaning my camera sensor it's necessity to keep mirror locked up ( using sencor clea menu option) If im turning my camera power off camera mirror will unlock? How do you clean your sencor if your keeping power switched off? Please enlighten me:-)
Bache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:35 AM   #10

Bache wrote:
Quote:
Setiprime : how can you clean your Dsrl sensor if you keep power off??? When im cleaning my camera sensor it's necessity to keep mirror locked up ( using sencor clea menu option) If im turning my camera power off camera mirror will unlock? How do you clean your sencor if your keeping power switched off? Please enlighten me:-)

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I'm thinking while you're in "clean sensor" mode, you can remove the battery while the camera is on. I haven't tried this.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote