Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:44 AM   #11

Digiflo.... do you realize this thread has been inactive for 1 year?
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:05 PM   #12

FaciaBrut wrote:
Quote:
Digiflo.... do you realize this thread has been inactive for 1 year?
YES! I do .. I'm raising it from the dead .. :blah:

Besids .. why start another thread .. when this one was already here?

I'm now looking at the canon D60 .. woo hooo
Digifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 4:34 PM   #13
Administrator

Digifo wrote:
Quote:
I'd prefer the black body over the silver, and would really like to look at some other lenses, like Tamron, or Sigma .. I just lost out on a great deal I saw yesterday for a used XT with a great small Sigma zoom, a 1GB card, and a 3 yr upgrade on the warrantee .. it had a BIN price of $645 ..
That's not necessarily a great deal. The Sigma may have been a cheap lens (they make good and bad ones), and 1GB cards can be found for practically nothing anymore (around $25).

As for the warranty, was it worth the paper it was written on?

What condition was the camera in? Was it a U.S. model, intended for sale in the U.S.

You can buy a brand new Rebel XT, including the at lens for only $669 from http://www.buydig.com right now. http://www.photovideo.com has the black XT kits (with an 18-55mm lens) for $689.

In a used XT, I see a black XT body (no lens) right now in the used department at B&H in 10 Condition for only $499. They get $599 for new bodies.

Rebel XT in 10 Condition at B&H for $499

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 4:48 PM   #14

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Digifo wrote:
Quote:
I'd prefer the black body over the silver, and would really like to look at some other lenses, like Tamron, or Sigma .. I just lost out on a great deal I saw yesterday for a used XT with a great small Sigma zoom, a 1GB card, and a 3 yr upgrade on the warrantee .. it had a BIN price of $645 ..
Quote:
That's not necessarily a great deal. The Sigma may have been a cheap lens (they make good and bad ones), and 1GB cards can be found for practically nothing anymore (around $25).

As for the warranty, was it worth the paper it was written on?

What condition was the camera in? Was it a U.S. model, intended for sale in the U.S.

You can buy a brand new Rebel XT, including the at lens for only $669 from http://www.buydig.com right now. http://www.photovideo.com has the black XT kits (with an 18-55mm lens) for $689.

In a used XT, I see a black XT body (no lens) right now in the used department at B&H in 10 Condition for only $499. They get $599 for new bodies.

Rebel XT in 10 Condition at B&H for $499

I understand Jim and thanks .. it was tho a Mack warrantee good for 3 years .. whatever thats worth ..
Quote:
Nobetheless, I have just talked with a buddy, whose wedding I did just a few months ago .. and he told me he bought his wife a new XTi .. and would be willing to sell me the Rebel XT that they had at the wedding .. which I used for them to get some stuff that they didnt feel I should have done, which I was glad to do for them anyway .. and welllll .. he said he'd sell me the whole thing with what came in the box for $500 ..
Quote:
All I gotta do is go out and get a card and a reader .. and maybe a nice portrait lens.
Quote:
What kina card and reader do you suggest I get .. ? I think I should run over and get it .. before he ups the price .. lol
Quote:
Thanks again
Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:33 PM   #15
Administrator

Rob Galbraith has some speed tests for a variety of different cards in the Rebel XT here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7699

But, if you're not shooting sports, or in conditions where you'll need to worry about filling up the buffer, you may not want the latest and greatest cards.

I'd probably shop around at places like Newegg and see what they have, depending on your budget. You can buy 4GB cards for under $100 now.

For example, I see a 120x Transcend 4GB CF card at newegg.com for only $87.99 right now. That's pretty good bang for the buck. I've been thinking about getting one for myself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208049

They have some cheaper ones, too. I personally avoid Kingston Elite Pro Cards (because they're extremely slow in some camera models like my KM Maxxum 5D due to what appears to be a compatibility issue).

But, they seem to work OK in most Canon models (with the exception of the S1 IS, where they had some compatibility issues initially, but Canon came out with a firmware update that fixed it).

Ditto for the Ridata/Ritek 52x Pro cards (I personally avoid them, as they tend to be very slow in some cameras like KM DSLR models due to what appears to be some compatibility quirks). Some of their newer cards seem to work OK in these models though.

Sandisk and Lexar are usually safe bets in memory card brands (I personally have more Lexar Pro series cards than any other brand, and I've been using them for years).

But, no card brand is foolproof (you get bad ones from any manfacturer from time to time). So, make sure you have more than one in case of a failure.

I'd probably avoid Ebay. I'm seeing a lot of stories about people getting fake Sandisk cards lately with very early failures. The dealer may not even realize that they're fake if they're not getting them from one of the larger and more reputable distributors.

Here's a list of all CompactFlash Cards at newegg (one of the better vendors for that type of thing). You can select a card size on the left hand side of the page to narrow down your choices.

CompactFlash Cards at newegg.com

As for a card reader, they're relatively inexpensive. I'd probably get a USB 2.0 "Multi-Card" reader of some type, so that you'd be able to read other memory card types, too (you may get a pocket camera, PDA, etc., that uses another card type and want a way to read it).

I'm using a Sandisk Reader. But, most brands would probably be fine. Build Quality varies a lot. But, they're not very expensive (around $10 anymore for a generic brand USB 2.0 multi-card reader). I prefer one that uses a USB cable versus one of the readers that plugs directly into a USB port.

I'd just look in their card readers section and read through some of the customer reviews to make sure one works OK for most users. Some have better user reviews compared to others.

Card Readers at newegg.com

Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:47 PM   #16

Jim .. you're the man !!!!

I was just gonna go down to Best Buy .. and get both .. matter a fact, does'nt San Disk sell them together? I thought I saw that when I was there ..

I wont be doing much sports, if any at all .. mostly still life shooting around the golf course .. and I already have a few models that have jumped at the opportunity to help me *test* my new .. err, new used XT .. :lol:

I really wanna sell the kit lens tho .. and would love to own a couple of *fixed* lenses .. I'm sure that Canon and the rest made alotta zoomsas *kits* to help the consumer along .. I think a fixed lens would also be faster .. (havent really looked yet) but I know I dont like slow zooms .. lol

Thanks sooo much for the very concise and detailed .. full of info post .. I love this place !!!
Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:05 PM   #17
Administrator

Well, you'll probably pay a whole lot more if you go down to your local Best Buy.

For example, a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II Card with a free card reader (generic) at newegg.com is $66.99 right now.

A 2GB Sandisk Ultra II with no card reader at Best Buy is $119.95 right now.

Personally, I'd go with a card that offered more "bang for the buck" (cost per megabyte).

You can eat up card space pretty fast, especially shooting in raw. That's why I'm keeping an eye on some of the newer 4GB cards. lol I'm tired of swapping multiple cards so often.

Best Buy is getting almost as much for some of their 1GB CompactFlash cards as you could buy the 120x Transcend 4GB card for at newegg.com

Personally, I'd order from an online vendor and wait a few days. lol Newegg usually ships pretty fast (even with ground shipping, I usually get my order within about 3 days). YMMV, depending on your location.

Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:08 PM   #18

Thanks again .. is there a difference in speed with a 2GB card .. vs a 1GB card?

Or, does the 2GB card simply allow you more shots?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:23 PM   #19
Administrator

2GB is twice the capacity of a 1GB Card. So, you can take twice as many photos before it fills up. 4GB can hold 4 times as many photos as a 1GB card.

As for speed, you have to take them on a case by case basis. The standard speed Sandisk cards are relatively slow.

The Ultra II and Extreme III cards are far more popular and they're faster cards.

Most cards use an "x" rating system where x = 150KB/second. For example, a 120x card represents a speed of around 18MB/Second.

Of course, the ratings are usually very optimistic, and you have to look at read and write speed (the read speed is usually much faster). You won't get anywhere near the rated speed in most cameras.

The camera's interface to media is usually the limiting factor. The XT's write speed to media is not bad as those things go (although some DSLR models are much faster now).

It looks like the XT will write at around 6MB/Second to either an Ultra II (newer edge stamp) or Extreme III. Note that sometimes card manufacturers change components during production. So, one card may be faster than another, even if the brand/model is the same (newer Ultra II cards are faster than older Ultra II cards).

So, you'll see diminishing returns with faster cards you get to a certain point (see Rob Galbraiths tests at the link in my earlier post for some examples). IOW, you may only see a small increase in speed going to a card that's supposed to be twice as fast, once you reach a certain speed card.