Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:33 PM   #1

Hi,

I just bought the Rebel XT.

Has anyone else had smudges (or distortions) on the sensor right out of the box?

On the first set of pictures (blue sky) I saw two dark/grey areas in the same place on each picture. This happened even when I switched lenses. I put the camera in "clean mode" and was able to see 2 small smudges or distortions on the sensor, in the same configuration as in the pics. There was no dust on the sensor.

Should I have it serviced (only one month old.)? Could the sensor be deffective?

Josh:O

mr-macro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2005, 10:13 AM   #2

mr-macro wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I just bought the Rebel XT.

Has anyone else had smudges (or distortions) on the sensor right out of the box?

On the first set of pictures (blue sky) I saw two dark/grey areas in the same place on each picture. This happened even when I switched lenses. I put the camera in "clean mode" and was able to see 2 small smudges or distortions on the sensor, in the same configuration as in the pics. There was no dust on the sensor.

Should I have it serviced (only one month old.)? Could the sensor be deffective?

Josh:O
Quote:

Sounds like dust on the sensor. If the sensor shows the shots you are taking, and the only thing wrong is the smudges, I would say, the CCD Sensor is fine. (The most expensive part of any D-SLR.)

SO, with all of that said: I would contact Canon or your local store if you bought if from them before the 2 weeks or 30 day return policy is up.

If you bought it online... call Canon. They'll clean it for free more than likely and get it back to you within 2 weeks or so.

Good luck,

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:49 AM   #3

I'm not alone!

I had the exact same issue. Bought a rebel xt (my first SLR) from circuit city (whose return policy STINKS). Took lots of shots the first couple of weeks but didn't look close.

By luck, I was looking at my shots the night before my right for an exchange with the retailer expired and noticed three spots in the exact same place in every shot - especially visible in blue skies. I went back to the very first shot I took and found the same spots in the same place.

I tired multiple sensor and lens cleanings (inside and outside lens) but to no avail.

I did at least 4 sensor cleanings and they didn't budge.

Luckily I was able to exchange the next day, and the new camera works fine.

There is no question in my mind that this was a manufactring or packaging flaw.The box I got was obviously unopened and when I put the lens on, I was VERY careful to do it indoors with limited dust and wind, and I did it very quickly. No way dust got into the camera and under the mirror in that time in 3places before I took my first shot.

Not sure what the problem is in the factory...but i love the camera none the less.
AConant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:14 PM   #4

Actually, assuming you're not using an expensive weathersealed pro lens, anytime you zoom you potentially
s u c k in dust through the lens, so it's not just the lens changes that are a risk factor.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote