Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:46 AM   #1

Hi All,

I am seeking your assistance as to which flash is the better purchase? The 580ex I can get for AUD $600 whilst the Sigma AUD $470. So the price difference isn't as great as I have read in the forums for overseas. Since for the price of one 580ex I can not get two Sigma's. So based on the price difference, which would you recommend?

Thank you
moree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:52 AM   #2
NHL

Theses were all shot with an EF-500 DG super:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7

The difference will be when you use theses devices in the wireless mode where you'll need multiple units -> The more head(s) you buy the more you save! :-)

Also check the Metz 54 MZ-4, if the price difference is not that great overseas - I would get the Metz over anything else... :idea:
Here's why: http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron..._MZ-4.171.html
1. The Metz has two heads - more like a portable studio with 1 direct/fill and 1 bounce
2. You are probably aware of the under/over-exposure issues with the E-TTL by now - The Metz affords you an alternative to switch over the old familiar but reliable 'Auto' mode on the flash head itself
3. Even though the Metz wireless is not compatible with Canon - Their RF system is much more reliable (like on other high-end professional system) and flexible, unlike the Canon which is restricted in the placement of slaves where their locations are limited by the range and line of sight...

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 3:18 AM   #3

my 2 ยข: Have 580ex, not crazy about it. Has some cool features, like the built in bounce card, and built in wide angle plastic piece (all other cameras the piece was separate, this is attached to the camera and can slide into the top of the flash when u r not using it). Not crazy about the color repro, looks better with the on camera flash.Of course you can manually white balance, but I haven't bothered. I expected the flash to operate like a bigger version of the on camera flash. But there was a decent learning curve. For example, to use the exposure compensation (which you have to master with this flash unless you are in a manual/studio situation) you can just set the compensation on the camera (like you would do with the on camera flash) and it communicates with the flash. But the results were terrible. I almost returned the flash, but then I used the compensation on the flash instead of setting it in the camera and it worked just fine. I do wish I could just use the camera b/c on the fly it is a bit cumbersome to stop looking thru the viewfinder, look at the flash and compensate. Of course, once you get good at it you don't have to look. My advice is to go for the Metz, but then again I have never tried the Sigma.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:04 AM   #4
NHL

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
... but then again I have never tried the Sigma.
I've tried everything else: :lol: :-) :G

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:21 PM   #5

I have owned the Sigma Super DG for 2 years along with a metz CL-4,andthey have both done me proud. I have shot 4 weddings in the last 3 weeks andI only had the 580EX delivered last week to use at yesterdays wedding...a biggie.

The difference is very noticeable and it never left my 1d mkii. I have used it with the 20D also and I absolutely love it. I used the FEC on camera with bounce flash and it works a dream, pics were immaculate. Anyone here who states otherwise probably used all manner of incorrect settings.

Too many people are quick to "put down" their equipment without fully learning how to use it. Take what is said in any forum with a pinch of salt....your own "due diligence" will win in the end...try both if you can.

I would personally, most definitely recommend you spend a little more if you shoot with Canon cameras! The 580EX worked beautifully with bounce, fill-in AND head on flash! Lovely!

It feels more sturdy, professional and reliable too, although I bounced the Sigma right across a marble floor last year and it still works perfectly.

P.s. It coped with situations at both end of the spectrum from harsh sunlight to the darkness of the dancefloor....

EDITED - REMOVED IMAGES - Actually, bad protocol to publish wedding pics before the bride and groom have seen them...removed.
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:22 PM   #6

..image removed
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:23 PM   #7

..image removed
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:13 AM   #8

Hey you alive GAbby
boyzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote