Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 8, 2005, 8:26 PM   #1

Hi all.

What is the Best/ good Insurance companyto insure aCANON 20D, 70-200 2.8 and 580EX?......What would be the policies? Oops, was that a Mark 2 and a 400MM 2.8 I dropped?:idea: :G:G

thanks for replying
ACDCROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:38 PM   #2

In US, get a personal articles policy with state farm. You will have to show them your camera/lens etc. Cost is very resonable and covers everything.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:12 PM   #3

I second the state farm policy. Do NOT just have it added to your home-owners. First off, a claim against home owners will have a deductible. Second, a claim could affect your rates and lead to you being dropped. Personal articles is the way to go.

I had to make a claim on mine a few months ago (with State Farm) and here's what I learned.

1. They take your list of insured items and cost out a replacement value - which is very competititive with internet prices. They will either offer to replace the item or give you the $$ for THEIR REPLACEMENT VALUE - NOT THE INSURED AMOUNT. So, lets say you insure a camera for $1100 and the price drops to $800 in 6 months. You still pay premiums on the $1100 amount but they will only pay you $800. The good news is, it still ends up replacing the item so you don't lose out. But, they will not go over the stated insured amount for a particular item. So if you insure a lens for $1000 and the price for that lens goes up to $1200 - State Farm will only give you $1000. If the price of the lens drops to $800 - State Farm will give you $800.

Just something to be aware of. But, still a great experience - inside of 2 weeks my claim was processed and I had a check. They even offered to allow me to upgrade gear through their channels (again their prices were about equal to reputable on-line retailers so I kept my business at B&H). If I hadn't had that insurance I would have been out about $2300 in gear that I could not afford to replace.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:58 PM   #4

Welcome to the world of insurance claims! :sad: I think most of the big insurance companies are going with replacement value these days. The good thing is that the personal articles policy is relatively inexpensive. I paid $60 for a year to insure about $4K in camera stuff. I think that is pretty good since there is no deductible and it covers every kind of peril except for warranty type failures. I have one for a laptop as well.

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:30 PM   #5

I have mine through Farmers Mutual, same deal, replacement value, but covered for any peril. I also have my renters ins. and auto ins. through them so there is a discount involve for multiple policies, so check with your insurance agent to see if they have the type of coverage you're looking for.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 10:02 AM   #6

I just went through setting this up with my insurance company for my new Digi outfit.

Total cost of my equipment was 5800.00 that I had receipts for, I did not insure stuff like batteries, chargers, memory cards etc... Just the body, 3 lenses and flash. This was added to my home owners in a ryder (think it's spelled right). My home owners deductable doesn't matter. If the equipment needs to be replaced it will be replaced with exactly what I have now if possible. 2 or 3 years from now that may not be, so it would be replaced with a comperable model up to the 5800.00 but not over 5800.00. The cost was 45.00/year.

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:52 PM   #7

JohnG - How do state farm compute the cost of the lens? Let us say my lens cost me $1000 now if they replace it with a new lens, then it is fine with me but if they pay me $800, I can't buy a new lens with that amount.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 8:36 AM   #8

bobbyz, If the replace cost is still at $1000 for you lens, you will still get the $1000. If the replacement cost of you lens drops to $800 you will only get the $800, but will still be able to replace the lens because of the depreciated cost of a new one.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 12:54 PM   #9

Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 11:14 PM   #10

I have a floater on all my camera equipment with my Farmers Insurance Renters Policy. It is an at cost replacement, so if I proide a copy of the recept and photos when I set up the policy it will refund my everything, without questions or facoring age of equipment. I have had good resluts with farmers, To add new equipment I just fax in a copy of the reciept and photos and they add it with a day. I recently added a 360.00 Velbon tripod and I costs $3 to add on my floater and the coverage is good for a year. The policy covers theif, fire, etc. However if I drop my equipment i'm out of luck (get a commercial policy from that) Anyways, the only thing I don't like is that I often take 2 labtops with my when shooting, and they will not cover my laptop in with the camera floater policy, I wound have to set up a computer policy, but when I take possions out side the apartment I have up to 10% of my total renters policy so it covers the value of the laptops.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote