Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 11, 2005, 1:54 PM   #1

Hi all, just wanted to let you know I printed a 20 inch by 30 inch print of a macro flower shot with my Rebel XT and it came out great. I did not touch it up, add pixels or do any type of enhancement.I justuploaded the file to an online printing service (Mpic)with instructions not to enhance, just print it as is. The shot was of course taken in fine mode, with no compression.

The print is not grainy, and I can see the polen on the stamen of the flower. The pic is not at all pixilated. Makes me want to get a printer that can print 20x30!

Josh
mr-macro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:13 AM   #2

I didn't know the XT had a no compression option.:blah:
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:29 AM   #3

Ha ha.

I do believe you can take pics, in JPG mode,that can either be high compressed (signified by jagged step icon) or low compressed (signified by smooth icon.) You are right, in JPG there is no "uncompressed."

Josh
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:05 AM   #4

I was just teasin' ya. I've printed off 24" x 36" from an XT file, but never without resizing it. At 20" x 30", an XT file would produce 115ppi and that's just not enough if you are going to be viewing it from five feetaway...maybe fifteen feet, but I guess if you like it, that's all that matters.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:20 PM   #5

I've got a question about re-sizing (interpolation). Re-sizing does not generate more information (the camera does that), but merely interpolates and generates more pixels 'to fill in the gaps'. So, which is the best approach - use Photoshop or other software to re-size to increase dpi OR let the photolab do the interpolation to increase dpi?

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:40 PM   #6

Resize yourself. The lab I send my stuff to prints what I send them...exactly how I send it to them. Interpolating inPS CAN yield terrific results with the proper approach. Plug-ins like Genuine Fractalsare also great if you need to create A LOT of pixels.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 3:53 PM   #7

mr-macro wrote:
Quote:
Ha ha.

I do believe you can take pics, in JPG mode,that can either be high compressed (signified by jagged step icon) or low compressed (signified by smooth icon.) You are right, in JPG there is no "uncompressed."

Josh

What about RAW? Of course with RAW you would need to do a little post processing.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:05 PM   #8

Josh,

Although you did not resize the photo, the lab's printer software did. Most people don't know it, but many labs would prefer an unedited (other than cropping) image because the R.I.P. or fiery RIP software in their 300k plus printers will do the interpolation and upsizing. Since the RIP software in these printers can cost in the thousands of dollars, it usually does a better job than the printer drivers we have on our desktop printers. Some labs will tell you to provide a 200 or 300 ppi image in the desired size. Others just ask you to providethe desired print size. Of course there is a limit on how high the printers will upsize an image. But for an 8 MP image, you can send it in unedited and get good results for 24 x 30 prints.I recently attended a professional level photography workshop. One of the most important class goals we were given for success as mostly digital professionals,was that we produce out of the camera images that would go directly to the lab with instructions for print sizes, not other editing would be done. This would allow you to have the same workflow as a film shooterswith the reduced cost of no film purchases. Of course I haven't been able to accomplish this on a regular basis so far.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 7:58 AM   #9

Hi Bill,

I will check with the lab. When I sent it they asked if I wanted any "color correction," and I checked "no". I just assumed that meant they would print it as is, but now I am beginning to wonder if they did indeed process it as you mentioned. I was wondering why it came out so well, even up-close. I'll post what they reply.

Also, are there any printers that I could buy for my home that print 20x30 or is that pie in the sky for nonprofessionals?

Question for SlapNTkleJr:

What subject matter did you print at 24x36. Sounds cool.

Josh

Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:07 AM   #10

Josh,

You have 4 choices: two Epsons, one HP and one Canon.

I don't know the exact model numbers. The HP and Epsom models are 17 by 22 inch models and the Epson and Canon models are 24 by 44 max cut sheet media.

You can go to the respective site and get the pricing and specsfor these printers. Three big caveats!!! They are huge, especially at home, Heavy, and require rather expensive RIP software to get the same quality as you would get from a lab. If you have a real need to frequently pring larger than 13 x 19 images go for it. Otherwise, send the images to the lab. B.T.W. the RIP software automatically does some corrections just like your desktop drivers.

Costs - around $2000 - $4000 (with good RIP). The windows or MAC based software that comes with the printers will use as much as three time the ink as the professional grade RIPs. Ink is around$200 - $600 for a total refill.

I know everthing I say here isn't completely factual, but it's generally true. Check out the manufactor'ssites to get a better idea of your options.

Bill

wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote