Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:18 PM   #1

when ever RAW mode is used the files are saved in *.CR2 format.

Adope photoshop couldn't open these files. I heared that photoshop file could handle RAW file.

Please help me out in processing RAW format files from Rebel XT using photoshop.

Please let me know if Iam missing something.

Thanks

Pasu_chennai
pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:58 PM   #2
Administrator

What version of Photoshop?

You'll need Photoshop CS2 with Adobe Camera RAW 3.1 or 3.2 for the Canon Rebel XT.

This camera isnot directly supported by Adobe Camera RAW in prevous Photoshop versions.

If you are using PSCS2, then you can download the lastest Adobe Camera RAW 3.2 from here:

Windows:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

Macintosh:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...form=Macintosh

If you are using PSCS, then you can download the Adobe DNG Converter with Adobe Camera RAW 2.4 and convert your Rebel XT .cr2 files to Adobe dng for use with PSCS using ACR 2.4.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:00 PM   #3

thanks for the reply. I am having Photo shop CS2. I downloaded the update u send me. Still I am not able to open the *.CR2 files that come out of Rebel XT. Should I convert these files in to .RAW or some thing before I use it in CS2.

If so Please help me converting the same.

thanks

pasu
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:27 AM   #4

You may have luck with either File Viewer Utility or Digital Photo Professional programs from the Canon website.* I use DPP for my 1D (which has .tif RAW files).* I imagine some form of these programs came with your camera.* You may need to convert them to .TIF files and then use your version of Photoshop
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:29 AM   #5
Administrator

PSCS2 should work with the .cr2 files, provided you have Adobe Camera RAW 3.2 installed correctly.

Did you follow the instructions onhow to install the new ACR 3.2 update (making sure the Camera Raw.8bi plugin is in the right folder and moving the old one somewhere else)?

What happens when you try to open a .cr2 file? How are you trying to open one?

If you're just cliking on a filename outside of Adobe, your Windows file associations may be wrong for this file type.

If you right click on a .cr2 filewhile browing a folder using Windows Explorer (or going to"My Computer" to browse), thenselect "Open With" PSCS2, what happens then?

Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:05 AM   #6

Thanks a lot Jim. Now it works fine.

After you reply i followed the instruction to intall the Plugin and got it right.

thanks once again
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:20 AM   #7

Hi ,
I have a small question. While using the CS2 to process and convert .CR2 files it there is a option to specify the size 1.6MP to 25MP. I have a picture out of Rebel XT which is 8MP if I save to 25MP is it really 25MP , means will it have the quality of 25MP photo.

Just curious.

thanks
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:54 AM   #8
Administrator

You can always interpolate an image to higher resolutions (which adds pixels based on adjacent pixels) to help prevent problems with pixelation caused by not enough pixels per inch being sent to the printer.

IOW, you have so many pixels in the image, and if you try to spread them out at larger sizes, you may not have enough pixel density for the desired size. That's where interpolation can help (adding more pixels to help fill the gaps).

But, interpolation can't add detail thatwasn't captured by the sensor to begin with (and it can also degrade image quality if you interpolate without a need to do it).

Some subject types interpolate better than others, andviewing distance can also be very important (you won't be viewing a larger print from as close).

Lin Evans has an excellent forum post on this topic here (see the 2:18PM post from October 13th):

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...166037#p166037

If you do have a need forlarger print sizes, you may find some tips in the Resizing/Interpolation Forum,the Editors (Photoshop, etc.) or the Plug-ins and Actions - Photoshop and Compatible Forum

In addition to the resampling algorithms built into Photoshop for interpolation (like Bicubic), you'll find other products and plugins designed for this purpose, too.