Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:41 AM   #1

Hi,

I have owned my Rebel XT for about 2 months and read the manual a couple of times. I took a few pictures this weekend and most of them turned out great. Except a few which were underexposed, this was probably because the background was bright and we were under trees. I was wondering what mode should I be shooting in Av, M?
This picture was in P mode, with the center point for focus and evaluative metering. Should I have my camera in partial metering or change it from picture to picture.??

Thanks for all your help.
Attached Images

nv1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:42 AM   #2

This is one of my better ones....
Attached Images

Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:09 PM   #3

Which lens you using? Even the good one looks quite bad (from noise point of view). What Exif settings?

On the other question, the mode to shoot depends on youbut that wouldn't change your exposure. Learn to look at your histogram and adjust accordingly. In Av or Tv mode, just use the expsoure comp. In manual mode, you will have to adjust both aperture and shutter speed to get the right exposure. If light is simply not there, you have to use flash.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 3:04 PM   #4

I'm using a tamron 70-300 LD 1:2 macro lens.... yeah...there is a lot of noise, had it on 1600 ISO as i was shooting some pictures in the dark the night before and forgotto change
Old Oct 13, 2005, 4:32 PM   #5
NHL

You're correct the bright (and white) background confused the camera's meter - two ways to overcome this problem:
1. Turn on the flash (the preferable way) to fill-in more light from the front
2. Use exposure lock (* button) on the folks in front (but the background will be overblown instead)
This is a case where 'the person behind the lens' has to be smarter than the camera :idea:

BTW shooting a white(or black) bird is always tricky - since the camera is calibrated for neutral grey. I usually ignore the camera metering and switch to manual instead... This is in addition to tracking a bird in flight since again the background has a lot to do with how a picture will come out!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote