Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:11 AM   #11

I would recommend you get the Rebel XT. The extra $500 or so doesn't warrant the extra features for someone starting out.

My guess is the 20D's price will slowly lower over time, but not much. I don't think an improved 20D will be announced, but another model later, usually for more $'s than the current 20D price.

Enjoy the XT for five years then upgrade to another DSLR later.

It would take you about five years to really master what the XT can offer.

Five years from now you will probably be able to purchase a 12 or 16 meg camera that is ultra fast for under $1,000.

I'm planning to upgrade my 20D to something better within 5 years, and my 20D is just under 1 year old.

Photography is always a moving target, skill wise and equipment wise and should remain so for some time to come.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:17 PM   #12
rey

I think if you're just starting with SLR, you should go with what you can get and need now. I don't see the 20D price going down further even after its replacement is released. Canon will simply just discontinue the current 20D, while pricing its replacement a little more than it while the two are both in the market. Thats what they did with the original Dig Rebel. My friend bought the original Dig Rebel early this year when they had the Triple rebate for it (before XT was released). He spent around $700 for the body and the lens (24-85 USM). I just bought the Rebel XT this morning and I spent $200+ more than that with the kit lens. I wish I had purchased what he did rather than wait for the XT.

Anyways, with the CMOS technology, dSLR is becoming more like the PC. I agree that in 5 yrs (or less) you'd be able to buy 14-16MP for $1000... it may even be a Dell branded dSLR, with GPS and you can check your video email on it :G
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:24 PM   #13

Terry,

If price is the concern between 20D and XT, dont u think one should consider KM 7D over XT and enjoy the same for the Five years as u have mentioned.

vivek
waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:50 PM   #14

waste wrote:
Quote:
Terry,

If price is the concern between 20D and XT, dont u think one should consider KM 7D over XT and enjoy the same for the Five years as u have mentioned.

vivek
When one invests in a DSLR camera, one actually invests in themanufacturer's DSLR system. Which path will yield best for you KM or Canon? Once you have equipment invested for one manufacturer, it's hard to switch to the other system...not just financially speaking. So getting the least priced DSLR camera shouldn't be the onlydeciding factor between one brand or the other. It should really be...which DSLR system fits you best now and later.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:17 PM   #15

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
. So getting the least priced DSLR camera shouldn't be the onlydeciding factor between one brand or the other. It should really be...which DSLR system fits you best now and later.

hey,

i never meant abt the cost. I was just trying to compare XT and KM 7D. With a good rebate available for the KM7D and considering the AS and its future(with respect to investment with lenses compared to canon) i felt KM 7D is a better buy for the money u spend.

I am not sure how to compare with 20D. But with XT KM7D would be my choice.

Vivek.

P.S. Anti shake converting every lens available for KM to a IS lens should be considered in the average long run we are talking about. By the way there may be a AS one from CANON to just compete with KM and who knows AS with more precise censors could be the next generation ones.
waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 8:27 AM   #16
NHL

waste wrote:
Quote:
P.S. Anti shake converting every lens available for KM to a IS lens should be considered in the average long run we are talking about. By the way there may be a AS one from CANON to just compete with KM and who knows AS with more precise censors could be the next generation ones.
IMO it's only a question of when...
Pentax and Olympus designers are already mentioning this feature in their interviews - AS in the camera makes too much sense, and practically the only way to upgrade your entire lenses line to 'IS'. Do it onezee and twozee at a time just take too long, look at Nikon for example and the cost is prohibitive (for the consumers too). AS in the camera also works with 3rd party lenses which is good for everyone in the end because theses folks happen to make some of the best lenses not offered by the OEMs

Minolta were always first - They introduced AF to the SLR world, the 1st wireless flash system, and yes even the very 1st dSLR before everyone (just do some googleing) - Some of their 1st dSLRs even use interchangeable APS-C sized lenses before the world knew what 'digital' meant... Check the latest hoopla on the high-resolution 2.5" rear LCD panel - you guess it, it's already on the KM 7D (with rebate)! :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:31 AM   #17

I would suggest wait for the update if you can. I bought my 10D and newer model 20D was replaced less than 6 months after that. I paid $1300 for my 10D. After 20D was out, you could get 10D for $700-$800. 10D could still take very good pictures but 20D was much nicer (high ISO, faster, more fps) for same price, which I paid only 4 months before. So if you can afford it, buy the new model when it is released. If money is an issue, then buy the model you can afford when a newer one is going to be released or released. Just like cars.

So I am hoping the new model comes out around Feb and has better features (better AF, more MPs, bigger RAW buffer).

speleojeff wrote:
Quote:
Thanks guys, but that doesn't really answer my question. Can I expect any remarkable improvements in the 20D pricepoint level based on some of your knowledge of Canon business practices like when they rolled out the 20D after the 10D, etc.? Or would waitingnot be worth the incremental improvements?

Partly I am concerned about lenses because I don't want to get stuck with obsolete lenses designed for smaller CMOS units when Canon and others may go to 35mm CMOS at this price point in 2 years. (and who says they will stop there anyhow...) I was warned not to get the EF-S lenses because they make a smaller image that I wouldn't be able to use on a full frame CMOS (If I understand that right). I want to future proof my setup as much as possible.

Or, maybe I need a reality check on all of this. I'm used to my old Olympus OM-2, and the fact that film never changed sizes, and now that we are in the world of digital, CMOS sizes will increase perhaps even to what we consider large format film size, and all thissmaller formatstuff on sale now will not matter a whit, and we'll all just have to keep buying new lenses, new bodies, etc, every few years. Maybe I should just buy Canon stock instead...

So, I ask again, should I wait on the replacement for the 20D or just go for it now?:O
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:37 AM   #18

Ragz wrote:
Quote:
I have the exact same questions. I want to buy a dSLR camera. But I cannot choose between the 350D and the 20D. I dont really need the added features of the 20D at the moment, but I hope that my skills improve in the future and I may need them later. The feature I like most about the 20D is the higher speed. I will be shooting a lot of high speed sporting events. Wonder if the 350D will be good enough for that? Rephrase: Will there be a significant difference between pics taken at 3 fps vs. 5 fps. Also is there a significant difference with pics taken at 1/4000 vs 1/8000?

My mind tells me to get the 350D but my heart tells me to get the 20D. :?

Ragz
What kind of sporting events? My 10D only does 3fps and I find it slow for birds in flight shots. But then even the 5fps of 20D is not enough. That's why most of people doing BIF and sporting events use 1dMK2.

For most of the shots, 1/2000 is fast enough. Why do you need 1/8000?

if you don't need features of 20D right now then go for XT. Learn it well and then down the road after 1-2 yrs, buy the latest greatest.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:07 PM   #19

MAXXUM 7D ALL THE WAY BABY! WOOHOOO!
sajdahgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:17 PM   #20

sajdahgraphics wrote:
Quote:
MAXXUM 7D ALL THE WAY BABY! WOOHOOO!

Ok...that comment alone made me dumpall my Canon gear for the Maxxum. :G
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote