Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:02 PM   #21

LOL:G:G
waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:39 AM   #22

sajdahgraphics wrote:
Quote:
MAXXUM 7D ALL THE WAY BABY! WOOHOOO!
Ragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:41 AM   #23

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Ragz wrote:
Quote:
I have the exact same questions. I want to buy a dSLR camera. But I cannot choose between the 350D and the 20D. I dont really need the added features of the 20D at the moment, but I hope that my skills improve in the future and I may need them later. The feature I like most about the 20D is the higher speed. I will be shooting a lot of high speed sporting events. Wonder if the 350D will be good enough for that? Rephrase: Will there be a significant difference between pics taken at 3 fps vs. 5 fps. Also is there a significant difference with pics taken at 1/4000 vs 1/8000?

My mind tells me to get the 350D but my heart tells me to get the 20D. :?

Ragz
Quote:
What kind of sporting events? My 10D only does 3fps and I find it slow for birds in flight shots. But then even the 5fps of 20D is not enough. That's why most of people doing BIF and sporting events use 1dMK2.

For most of the shots, 1/2000 is fast enough. Why do you need 1/8000?

if you don't need features of 20D right now then go for XT. Learn it well and then down the road after 1-2 yrs, buy the latest greatest.
Quote:
Bobbyz, I am into model aviation and fly model airplanes. Lately I have been flying model turbine jets too that go as fast as 200mph. Taking a shot of a 200mph plane would certainly need some skills rather than just a fast camera. Hopefully the camera should also be able to provide some assistance with "speed". I also go on wildlife safari's in India and love to shoot pics of tigers and other animals in the jungle. Most of my photography is people though. But I want to build my skills to become a more accomplished ametuer photographer. Budget is not an issue, however I dont want to be an idiot about it and get the latest greatest just because I can afford it. I want something that is right for my need.

Ragz

Ragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 8:30 AM   #24

YESS!! A conversion!
sajdahgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:03 AM   #25

A Small observation which could be completley worng...

If 20D goes for an update lets say, i see some changes to the MP, buffer size and at max a bit more improvement in the AF(if at all). There wouldnt be anymore change to this camera coz from the marketing point of view they would do these minor tweaks and price the camera around 2k. Also there shouldnt be any more functions taken from the high end ones, coz they still need to sell those 7k high end ones. And since the competition is just getting a good kick off from the super AS feature from KM.

If i think in the right direction, i would see a more advance featured AS system from KM.Say a KM 9d priced arnd 2k with more advance settings. It again depends on what one needs. There will be more full sensor cameras. And a full censor camera with AS would be best that Konica can get into the market to just race with canon. Its always a known fact that KM has good build quality. So its just matter of time when they bring in the picture quality. IMO its just around the corner. with KM 5D they know how different the market has responded even with canons innovation.

And its good for the consumers. In anycase the decision to wait for an update or a new model again will end up thinking about the price tag. Coz i am sure the nexdt model or an update to 20D is defintely going to cost around 2k for the camera alone. With no AS each and every quality lens u will end up buying will take ur initial set up to around 3-4k. Its about having enough money to spend and having enough money later to buy more bodies if ur a professional. if ur planning to become a professional, i guess either KM 5D or XT will work magic to learn more. ANd i know of a professional model foto grapher who uses nothing but the simplest film camera available. I have see some amazing shots taken by him. So ultimately it also depends on who takes the foto at the end of the day.

just by wearing maradonas boots wont make us the best player. U just need to be good enough to enjoy those boots.:blah:

Its just a decision whether ur ready to invest more in the end waiting for the new model, or wait enough to see throught this AS transition phase. And believe me canon cannot survive with no AS sometime in the future. With AS already developed, KM can just keep improving the other areas with respect to image quality and stuff. COmpare the lens investment with respect to Canon and Konica before and after the AS.

If u reallyw ant to wait, wait till the AS becomes the mantra of digital photography where all manufacturers have to go for it and its around a year or two.

till then just enjoy a XT tjhat can be purchased for around 700 dollors, but good lenses and start enjoying photography.

vivek
waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:05 PM   #26

Ragz, doing 200mph is not tough at all. Planes are much easier to shoot than most people realize. 3fps would be enough for it, unless you want to capture every moment. Just get a long enough lens to get frame filling shots and tarck the plane in your viewfinder. use AI servo mode and shoot. 100-400 is a good lens for this kind of thing and youc an zoom in/out quickly.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote