Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:18 PM   #1

:OI am thinking about getting the 20D, but if something new is coming out this spring, I would love to wait for it to see if they fix the 1/250th flash synch issue (should be 1/500th I'm told), the tiny LCD screen issue, and the menu that is almost unreadable in sunlight. I don't want to drop $2800 on a setup and then find out that the 20D replacement is way better than what I've got.

However, I don't know if I can afford the big bucks if anyone thinks the replacement for the 20D may cost another $500, especially if the improvements are only marginal. I wonder if I would be better off with the 20D and use the rebates so I get $300 off the 20D if I get 2 extralenses. (total rebate about $420 if I get the 20D w/17-85mm lense, a macro, and a wide)

Anyone have an opinion about what is a better deal or smarter move? I am new to digital SLR, looking for info. I can wait until spring to buy the camera, no big hurry. Besides, I have until early Jan when the rebate ends, but I'd appreciate some feedback now if anyone has any. Thanks.
speleojeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:38 PM   #2

Unless you need the extra features of the 20D, buy the Rebel XT instead.

Then buy some 3rd party lenses like a Tamron or a Sigma, or maybe the Canon 17-85 IS (stabilized).

Don't forget you will also need a case, media (recommend minimum 1gb compact flash card), tripod and external flash (eventually).

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:38 PM   #3

Then buy some 3rd party lenses like a Tamron or a Sigma, or maybe the Canon 17-85 IS (stabilized).

Don't forget you will also need a case, media (recommend minimum 1gb compact flash card), tripod and external flash (eventually).

-- Terry
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:39 PM   #4

-- Terry
Old Oct 18, 2005, 11:53 AM   #5

Why 1/500 is such a big deal. Personally, I think it would not happen on 20D replacement.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:07 PM   #6

The 1/500th is nice for sports.

Can shoot fill flash with a shutter of 1/500th which really freezes the action.

-- Terry

Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:22 AM   #7

Thanks guys, but that doesn't really answer my question. Can I expect any remarkable improvements in the 20D pricepoint level based on some of your knowledge of Canon business practices like when they rolled out the 20D after the 10D, etc.? Or would waitingnot be worth the incremental improvements?

Partly I am concerned about lenses because I don't want to get stuck with obsolete lenses designed for smaller CMOS units when Canon and others may go to 35mm CMOS at this price point in 2 years. (and who says they will stop there anyhow...) I was warned not to get the EF-S lenses because they make a smaller image that I wouldn't be able to use on a full frame CMOS (If I understand that right). I want to future proof my setup as much as possible.

Or, maybe I need a reality check on all of this. I'm used to my old Olympus OM-2, and the fact that film never changed sizes, and now that we are in the world of digital, CMOS sizes will increase perhaps even to what we consider large format film size, and all thissmaller formatstuff on sale now will not matter a whit, and we'll all just have to keep buying new lenses, new bodies, etc, every few years. Maybe I should just buy Canon stock instead...

So, I ask again, should I wait on the replacement for the 20D or just go for it now?:O
speleojeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 1:36 AM   #8

If you think this way on a 20D, you'll think this way on the 20D replacement. Therefore, you'll end up waiting forever.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 1:42 AM   #9

I have the exact same questions. I want to buy a dSLR camera. But I cannot choose between the 350D and the 20D. I dont really need the added features of the 20D at the moment, but I hope that my skills improve in the future and I may need them later. The feature I like most about the 20D is the higher speed. I will be shooting a lot of high speed sporting events. Wonder if the 350D will be good enough for that? Rephrase: Will there be a significant difference between pics taken at 3 fps vs. 5 fps. Also is there a significant difference with pics taken at 1/4000 vs 1/8000?

My mind tells me to get the 350D but my heart tells me to get the 20D. :?

Ragz
Ragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 1:43 AM   #10

I have the exact same questions. I want to buy a dSLR camera. But I cannot choose between the 350D and the 20D. I dont really need the added features of the 20D at the moment, but I hope that my skills improve in the future and I may need them later. The feature I like most about the 20D is the higher speed. I will be shooting a lot of high speed sporting events. Wonder if the 350D will be good enough for that? Rephrase: Will there be a significant difference between pics taken at 3 fps vs. 5 fps. Also is there a significant difference with pics taken at 1/4000 vs 1/8000?

My mind tells me to get the 350D but my heart tells me to get the 20D. :?

Ragz
Ragz is offline   Reply With Quote