Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:11 PM   #11

Peter,

Maybe they will drop the price of the 5D to something much lower.

Do you think the image quality of the 5D is the same or surpasses the 20D?

Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:19 PM   #12

Hi Terry,
The image quality of the 5d is very good, from what I have seen quite a bit better than the 20D (I'm a not trying to compare it to the 20D)
The camera is simply way overpriced.

And the few extra megapixels it has does not buy you very much over the 1.3 crop 8mp 1dmkII.
What I am saying, is at this point if I were to go buy a new body the 5d would lose out to the 1dmkII. Similar price, but a better constructed camera.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:35 PM   #13
rey

Is it true that Canon will no longer use APS-C sensors and instead will use full-frame in the future? I just bought a Rebel XT and I don't want to buy EF-S lenses if I can't use it on future camera. But I would think that the 20D successor would still use APS-C. I doubt Canon would release a full frame camera for $1500 any time soon...
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:43 PM   #14
Super Moderator

canon will not do away with aps- sensor for many many years... so no worries...

and seeing a full-frame for 1500USD, that won't happen for quitea while either..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:35 PM   #15

I agree with Hard's, the aps-c sized sensor will be around for a long time.

Nikon has commited to them for the long haul, as has Canon for their consumer line of cameras.
Especially if their first non-pro full frame entry does not sell a mega-ton of bodies because of the overblown price.

That said; I still would not buy a limited use EF-s lens, but that is just me.

peterp
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 3:14 AM   #16

Quote:
It's nice to hear it has a "Full Frame Censor" which will offer the same field of view as a 35mm film SLR. I was real shocked to find out that it won't accept my "EF-S" lenses.. and only the Canon Ef rangeā€¦. ???
No offense intended but I find it a bit strange that you could even be considering the 5D when in truth you don't seem to have mastered the workings of the 20D as yet. After your substantial investment and all the talk regarding EF-s and future lens compatibility, for you not to know this about your camera is a little surprising to say the least.

Peter,
The 5D is also not designed as a replacement or a cheaper alternative to the EOS-1D Mark II. But in argument maybe more so to the EOS-1Ds Mark II. With 3 fps it is clearly not the intention to be even in the same planet as the EOS-1D Mark II. However with Digic II, full frame, iso 50 to 3200 and 12.8mp it would benefit the fine art/landscape/studio photographer immensely in the case where cost is an issue in the purchase of the 1Ds. At only approx. 15 % heavier and larger than the 20D its size I'd think would be appreciated by the majority also.

Photographers on a budget and preferring Sport/reportage/wildlife(birding) are better off with the 20D.

Considering this is one of only two Full frame camerasavailable on the market, its image quality and finallythe cost of EOS-1Ds Mark II, I reckon Canon will sell a lot of 5D's and those customers to be very satisfied indeed.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:03 AM   #17

LBoy,
I'm putting words into PeterP's mouth here, but still...
I don't think he was saying that Canon was trying to position the 5D against the 1D MkII. Its just that the reality is that because they are similarly priced, people will consider them. Most will quickly gravitate to one or the other... but they will still have them both on their short list.

For me, personally, the 1D MkII is the obvious choice. I need the fast AF, deeper buffer, and good/amazing FPS. The 20D does most of what I want, the 1D MkII would do almost all I want.

I agree that the 5D should sell very well. It lacks a few features that serious photographers will require (weather sealing, pro-grade shutter build quality come to mind) but it does many things very well and should make a lot of people very happy.

As others have said, while we'd like a full frame sensor'ed camera to be at $1,500 USD, it won't happen for a long time. Full frame sensors are damn expensive to make.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:13 AM   #18

I don't know why so many people are putting down the 5D. I feel people feel that it is to replace or compete with other models out, but it's not. It adds a new niche to the market and in my opinion, it fills it well. With the specs it has, it is not a sports camera or a wildlife camera or even a camera to give medium format quality in a 35mm package. Those niches have been filled already. Like many have stated, it is greatfor landscape, architectural, and portrait photography.

I believe that coupled with the 20D andsome nice glass, it would be an excellent package at a good price. Yes, you could get a better combo with the 1DMark IIN and the 1Ds MarkII, but at a much larger cost.

Another reason, I feel there is a bit of criticism is that it doesn't quite feel like a "NEW" camera. What I mean, is it does feel and look a lot like the 20D and therefore the hype is a little bigger that actually holding it and shooting with it for the first time. Although, the LCD and viewfinder are noticeably quite different from the 20D, you don't really "feel" the quality, that is until you open up the files in your computer.

The 5D is a new breed of camera, one I relate to a mix of a black lab and a great dane. It has the build and feel of the 20D (which to my knowledge, most everyone enjoy) but some nicer "hidden" features on the inside. All I know, is it was fun mounting a 120-300 f/2.8 EX lens on there.:-)
Attached Images

SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:15 AM   #19

The rear.
Attached Images

SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:42 AM   #20

Eric,

PeterP said

Quote:
Personaly I would not buy a 5d. Not when the much better constructed 1d-MKII can now be had for almost the same cash.
Quote:
The image quality of the 5d is very good, from what I have seen quite a bit better than the 20D (I'm a not trying to compare it to the 20D)
The camera is simply way overpriced.
If Peter's (who I'm sure can talk for himself) photographic requirements mean that it would make more sense to him to purchase the 1d-MKII over a 5Dthan so be it, - no argument there at all. However the statements above while making perfect sense to those in the know gives no indication to many others reading, where the 5D issquarely aimed. It could beread mistakenly that one is comparable with the other. With the 1d-MKII having superior build quality.

The 5D sits under the 1ds-MKII, not at the side of the 1d-MKII. As no-one else had stated that, I thought that I would... nothing more. :-)

I was not attempting to argue with PeterP, and so probably should not have addressed the statement to him, but only wanting to be clear to other readers this camerasaspects.

Quote:
I agree that the 5D should sell very well. It lacks a few features that serious photographers will require (weather sealing, pro-grade shutter build quality come to mind) but it does many things very well and should make a lot of people very happy.
Yes we are in agreement here, but there are also serious photographers that do not require weather sealing or the batterygrip or the pro-shutter- in-fact quite the opposite.Many simply do not have time to use their camera everyday and therefore need not spend the money on these features.They may indeed be looking for a full frame (not the halfway house 1.3) camera to use the lenses they have owned and know for many years, as they were were intended on 35mm. The betterpicture quality and increased pixel is a bonus. And most importantly these guys have a much higher chance of being able to justify the price at half that of a 1ds-MKII.

Which is basically why I responded as I don't necessarily agree with Peter that this camera is overpriced. :-)

I don't have a bias to any of these 3 cameras. All are simply aimed at a slightly different location.

LB

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote