Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 18, 2005, 3:21 PM   #1

I just wanted to write a few lines on the Canon EOS 5D after trying it today.
With a street price of £2500 I seem to be asking myself over again if it's really worth the price? I have the 20D and when I heard about the new offering from trusty Canon, I was eager to give it a try. I hope there will be other comments on here that I can compare my comments with. Anyway… It's slightly larger & heavier than the 20D. The controls are nearly exactly the same as the 20D… I was impressed with the larger LCD screen "2.5in" Also the viewfinder is greater in size compared to the 20D. I wouldn't recommend it for the sports photographer as it only captures 3fps compared to 5fps on the 20D & 8.5fps on the 1D Mark II n. If you're only producing prints of A4 size then stick with the 20D and save yourselves wads of cash. It's nice to hear it has a "Full Frame Censor" which will offer the same field of view as a 35mm film SLR. I was real shocked to find out that it won't accept my "EF-S" lenses.. and only the Canon Ef range…. ??? At last Canon have added the most wanted "Spot Metering" For anyone with a 10D or 20D do me a favour please… Switch on the lcd and select a menu.. Why is it that the screen won't line up properly at the base? If you look at the base line on the screen it won't run true with the casing. After looking at the 5D it's the same… WHY??? Sort it out Canon… With a high price tag of £2500 you would think they would offer a screen that isn't lopsided. Don't get me wrong… I'm sure Canon were excited when they threw this one into the market but I personally don't think it's worth the price tag… If I'm honest with myself I have to admit I would like one (If it was cheaper) I'm keeping with my 20D "With the wonky screen"

Firmware05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 6:18 PM   #2
Super Moderator

if i had 2500$ i would buy one in a heartbeat.. you are just nitpicking man.. for the portrait, landscaper, or just general photog that doesnt do any hardcore sports this camera is a dream.. the lcd screen is huge, the viewfinder is bright and big as can be.. all your lenses are now their normal focal length with their normal depth of field.. the resolution is awesome, the colors are great, it handles like a dream..

so fine, itmay not be worth the money for you, but c'mon, why try to dissuade others from a simply marvelous camera at really a great price for what all you get..

------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:05 PM   #3

Firmware05 says:For anyone with a 10D or 20D do me a favour please… Switch on the lcd and select a menu.. Why is it that the screen won't line up properly at the base? If you look at the base line on the screen it won't run true with the casing.

I have a 10D and my menus work fine. Line up perfectly with lcd base. Maybe you should send yours back for repair.

Justin, I agree with you. If I had a spare $2500 I would buy one in a heartbeat. Problem is however, Firmware05 is apparently in the UK as his price as mentioned is in British Pounds. The US price I believe is around $3300.

dlearyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:19 PM   #4

I was suprised at the price, I would like to see a full frame at the 20D price. I knew that any new cameras Canon would produce would move to a fullframe aspect, so when I bought my 20D I swore off EF-s Lens, now i'm trying to by a cheap ES-F 28-85 lens so when I up grade I will have a lens to sell with my camera.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:21 PM   #5

matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:26 PM   #6

:?You will never find complaints of this emotional level from people who can afford to buy one.

If you don't like it don't buy it.
blu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:56 PM   #7

Firmware05 wrote:
Quote:
It's nice to hear it has a "Full Frame Censor" ............ I was real shocked to find out that it won't accept my "EF-S" lenses.. and only the Canon Ef range

It would have been a bigger shock to find that it DID take EF-S surely?
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 6:00 PM   #8

I've seen some images from the 5D and they look very, very nice.

The full frame is very worthwhile, especially if you have an investment in legacy Canon lenses.

Frames per second is somewhat overrated. I use the feature occassionally but it's way down the list in comparison to image quality (especially at high ISO's) where canon really shines.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:04 PM   #9

Or haven't been stupid enough to buy into the cheaper to make, yet still very overpirced ef-s type small sensor lenses.
(Firmware05, the ef-s lenses were specifically designed for the canon 1.6 crop consumer cameras. The 300D, 350D, and 20D are the only cameras they will work on.
They would destroy the mirror box on any larger sensored camera if you did manage to somehow get them to mount.)

Personaly I would not buy a 5d. Not when the much better constructed 1d-MKII can now be had for almost the same cash.

Quote:
The full frame is very worthwhile, especially if you have an investment in legacy Canon lenses.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:11 PM   #10

Peter,

Maybe they will drop the price of the 5D to something much lower.

Do you think the image quality of the 5D is the same or surpasses the 20D?

Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote