Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:01 AM   #1

I have a question, well it may seem stupid to you all, but I have to ask. I have a Canon G2 (thinking of upgrading to the Rebel)...so when I take pictures with it, I usually use the LCD screen for taking the pictures.......the viewfinder is awfully small on it, too small for me.....so I am curious, about theRebel, I am thinking the viewfinder is closer in size to the one on my 35mm (which is fine for me to use), but can one only take pictures using the viewfinder or can the screen be used as well for framing/taking shots? or is it only for reviewing pictures taken and menu's?

thanks!
dragonluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:22 AM   #2

IN an SLR you have to use the viewfinder to frame a shot. You cannot use a LCD to frame shots.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Ragz
Ragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3

With a DLSR, you use the viewfinder to frame the subject and are looking through the lens itself. On a point-n-shoot, you are only seeing what the lens sees with the LCD, not the viewfinder. The viewfinder will be a lot better than the G2, but not nearly as nice as a 35mm SLR, a full frame DSLR, or even a camera a step up from it such as the 20D.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:45 PM   #4

thanks for the replies!!!

I have to find a store that carries the camera and check it out and see if it works for me. SlapNTickleJr said it would be better then the G2 (anything would be better then that tiny little thing!!! it's about worthless) but not as good as my SLR so I will have to see how good/bad it really is.

I am leaning toward this model because my SLR is a canon and I can use my lens on it.......although I've been reading through the forums and have read good things about the other brands, but I can't afford to 'switch' brands and buy new lenses right now!!
dragonluvr is offline   Reply With Quote