Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:16 PM   #1

I wrote in to the group a month or so ago saying that I was having problems getting my Canon 20D to autofocus on birds in flight using AI Servo. I ended up sending the camera body, the three Canon lenses I own, and the Canon teleconverter I own into Canon. I asked that the problem be checked out (after explaining everything and sending in sample photos) and asked that everything be calibrated. Within 11 business days I had all my equipment back and I am so glad I did it. It all works perfectly now! They even cleaned the sensor and did other things as well. Everything was still under warranty so there were no charges (other than I paid for the shipping and insurance to get the items to them). I just thought I'd pass this info on in case anyone else is experiencing difficulties.

[email protected]~lkrueger<a href=.../font></u></a>/~lkrueger
and then come back often to enjoy!
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:11 AM   #2

It would be interesting to know what they really did. "Calibration" of Canon equipment shouldn't be necessary. They are a company that advertises all of their bodies being able to accept all EF lenses made since the late 80's (obviously EFS lenses now aside on certain bodies), so my guess would be there was maybe an adjustment made inyour body that was out of spec, and they probably checked it against your specific lenses to be sure it worked, but what you went through isn't something the great majority of people should have to do- if it was the norm they wouldn't be selling as many units as they do today.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 6:24 AM   #3
NHL

... and I agree with Greg 100%!

1. As soon as you inserted an extension tube, or a diopter you just 'uncalibrated' your equipment again - the body should be able to adjust for all theses accessories
2. I have 3 bodies (two older and uncalibrated), and 2 'uncalibrated' Canon L lenses dating back at least 8-10 years; however they all work out of warranty... and interchangeably.

A camera body should 'adjusts' to the lens - otherwise it need repair :idea:
- > A lens is passive (unless it's broken), the camera AF module 'see' through the lens and turn the lens focus back and forth until it achieves focus no matter how many combination of extension tube(s) or diopter(s) one attaches to a lens (just like a person wearing glasses adjusting their frames)! :O

tjk3052 wrote:
Quote:
I was having problems getting my Canon 20D to autofocus on birds in flight using AI Servo.
BTW - I just proved in another thread that a lens doesn't have to be in focus for the camera to take a picture in the AI mode:
Do this - try to focus on something closer than the minimum distance of the lens and fire away in AI-servo -> all your pictures will be out of focus again with the 'calibrated' system.
Repeat the experiment again in single shot AF this time the camera wouldn't fire would it (until you achieved fous)?

When you're tracking a bird in flight in AI-servo, the camera does not have to be in focus to take a picture!!! :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:04 AM   #4

Well having taken my gear in ages ago to be calibrated under warranty, I'd go with tjk3052 100%.

I bought a 1d Mk2 and took it in with 2 weeks of owning it. I'd taken some shots of a mate doing some Motocross and they were out of focus. When I spoke to the guy at Lehmann's (Stoke On Trent, UK) he said that it was out and that most cameras do need calibrating. Even out of the factory. And as he was doing it under warranty I didn't expect him to lie to me. Unless he's doing a stitch up on Canon, which I very much doubt!

I've just spoken to them about servicing my 1D Mk2 and it's £180 plus VAT but as I'm a CPS member they'll do it in 5 days otherwise a service can be anything up to 4 weeks!

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:41 PM   #5

I think lost of companies have problems in their mfg line. I should know as I am in that business. Nobody want to spend money to thoroughly test their stuff. Lots of canon L glass needs calibration. maybe they don't calibrate all lenses before shipping, not sure, haven't seen their process.

Recently my 400mm f5.6 prime started giving me somewhat blurry shots. I sent it to Canon Irvine. They cleaned everything, and re-calibrated it. Now lens is working real nice. I still need to do some thorough testing to make sure it is super sharp.

Canon's 70-200 f4 is notorius forthis issue. Mine was focussing off all the time. haven't checked it after calibration.

BTW - When canon clibrate, they don't use body and lens combination and calibrate so that that combo works like a charm and will break when using an extension tube like NHL mentioned. Body is calibrated using a std lens just to make sure everything is in spec. Same goes for lens. if things are in spec. they should work fine with any body/lens combination.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 4:23 PM   #6
NHL

Canon as most Co. doing business in Europe needs to be ISO-9001 certified
http://www.canon-europe.com/About_Us...cePageID=29002
Old Oct 27, 2005, 4:24 PM   #7
NHL

If a customer have to send their product in for calibration after they bought it... then something is definetly wrong!!!
They don't meet the ISO standard designed for customer satisfaction - which IMO is rather unlikely
Old Oct 27, 2005, 5:49 PM   #8

ISO9000is total BS. All Electronics companies are ISO9001 or whatever is latest ceritified. Doesn't mean anything. And I am talking about big silicon valley companies.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:37 PM   #9

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
ISO9000is total BS. All Electronics companies are ISO9001 or whatever is latest ceritified. Doesn't mean anything. And I am talking about big silicon valley companies.

The above statement is atually true. Having worked for a consumer electronics company myself...basically when we were getting ISO certified, all we had to do was do the steps that were documented in the procedures and you'll get certified. The procedures themselves did not go through scrutiny whether they're the right way to do something or not.

AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:54 PM   #10
NHL

Total bullshit hey?

"8.3 Control nonconforming products
Develop a procedure to control nonconforming products
Define how nonconforming products should be identified.
Define how nonconforming products should be handled.

Identify and control your nonconforming products
Eliminate or correct product nonconformities.
Prevent the delivery or use of nonconforming products.
Avoid the inappropriate use of nonconforming products.

Re-verify nonconforming products that were corrected

Prove that corrected products now meet requirements.

Control nonconforming products after delivery or use

Control events when you deliver or use nonconforming products.

Maintain records of nonconforming products

Describe your product nonconformities.
Describe the actions taken to deal with nonconformities. "

You guys should have reported it instead...
http://praxiom.com/iso-9001-b.htm