Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:00 AM   #1

Iwent from an A95to the S2 IS with the WA & Tele.and am now considering the Rebel XT w/ 18 - 55 Lens Kit! I can't get enough of this digital stuff.

I've been through Steve's review of the XT, but being a novice photog., I'm not sure if I'm just caught up in a digital RUSH, or if I will really gain something. I have Canon's EF 28 - 105 mm, f/3.5 - 4.5 lens from the Rebel 2000 Date.

Should I go for it? in your opinions!

Mack C in Brooklin ON
mackcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:17 PM   #2

What is it about the S2 you find lacking? Jumping up to a DSLR opens a number of windows but the costs start to go way up to realize the benefits. So, what about the S2 doesn't fit your needs?

With any piece of camera gear, my litmus test is: what gap does this fill over my existing equipment? And, how important is filling that gap?

Buying a DSLR body doesn't necessarily fill those gaps. For instance, say you want to shoot a lot of indoor sports with your camera - in that case the high ISO capability, burst rate and buffer handling of an XT will help, but only if you have a fast (f2.8 or better) lens to go with it. If you want to shoot birds seriously, you may soon find that a 200mm lens or even 300mm lens is too short. So, when considering the jump to a DSLR you also need to consider what lenses / accessories would be required for you to actually realize the gain over the S2 IN THE SPECIFIC AREAS that interest you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:45 PM   #3

Agree with everything JohnG said. You need to decide what S2 is lacking. And then decide if it is worth it to move to dSLR. Body is one thing (and relatively cheap investment), main thing is lenses.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:41 PM   #4

JohnG;

your answer isspecifically the reason that I use this forum. It is exactly what I was looking for! Not to tell me not to buy it, but to ask me why I should buy it.

(note to self) Mack, sit back and relax with your S2 IS.

Thanks again JohnG; my wife is very happy since I just saved a chunk of change! Hmmm, wonder what I can buy with the money I just saved?

Mack C. in Brooklin ON
Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:42 PM   #5

bobbyz; see my note to JohnG. Thanks to you as well, for the exact same reasons!

Mack C. in Brooklin ON
Old Oct 28, 2005, 6:15 AM   #6

Tend to agree with a previous post. Although Rebel XT is an exellent camero , and has nothing to complain about it, but in order to get similar to S2 IS possibilities , namely X12 zoom + IS f 2.8- 4.5 you have to spendin the order of magnitude more money than 500$ Canon IS S2.Go to www.fredmiranda.com and look for the prices for2 good lenses covering the approximate focus rangeof S2IS (don't forget IS).

There is in no way REBEL XT + kit lens can compete with IS S2.

Truly "if you want to buncrupt someone give him a camera".

If you fo for a dSLR world get ready to spend lots a cash.

I myself thinking of buying S2IS for telephoto in addition to REBEL, instead of 70- 200 L IS.
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 6:56 AM   #7

Hi drilliagor; well I'm batting 1000 now, since your answer is the same as the previous 2.

Nice trick, "if you want to bankrupt someone, give them a camera"!

Now, let's hope someone overbids me on eBay!

Mack C. in Brooklin ON
Old Oct 28, 2005, 8:14 AM   #8
NHL

There's another alternative - It's a called the Konica Minolta 5D (or 7D same price after rebate)

Any lenses used on this dSLR will be 'IS' enabled including several affordable, but good 3rd party 10-12x ratio zooms such as the 18-125/200mm (or a 50-500mm)...
FYI - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=72242&forum_id=84
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:20 AM   #9

Yes, KM 7d or5d ARE indeeda very attractive alternative, for anyone who is in a market for dSLR today... I wish there was 5D when I was buing my REBEL XT...
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 1:23 PM   #10

NHL wrote:
Quote:
There's another alternative - It's a called the Konica Minolta 5D (or 7D same price after rebate)

Any lenses used on this dSLR will be 'IS' enabled including several affordable, but good 3rd party 10-12x ratio zooms such as the 18-125/200mm (or a 50-500mm)...
FYI - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84
NHL - The 50-500 that you are talking about, is it Bigma? Would be interested to see shots with that combo. Cheapeast way to get to 500mm with IS.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote