Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:31 AM   #11
Super Moderator

george, that 2nd example is underexposed, which has made it noisier than it should be.. the first example is a better example of what the XT is capable of.. so Tyrant, don't be put off by that 2nd example..

also, Tyrant, how much is the KM 5d going for over there, it should be just as cheap if not cheaper than the XT? that should be another great choice to look into for the reasons NHL gave. i would have no problems with choosing this as a cheaper alternative to the KM 7d as you really don't lose much except a few external switches..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:40 AM   #12

Hards80, the KM 5D was at 1050$ but its currently out of stock and the dealer has no idea of its availability!
lenses are not cheap either, a reular 75-300 f4.5-5.6 was priced at 400$!
right now my favourite is still the canon. i just loved the overall feel of the camera and also i was just told that i could get it for 900$ which sounds tempting .

anyways i'll see what comes of this i got one more week to decide and will see what i can get .
Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
george, that 2nd example is underexposed, which has made it noisier than it should be.. the first example is a better example of what the XT is capable of.. so Tyrant, don't be put off by that 2nd example..

also, Tyrant, how much is the KM 5d going for over there, it should be just as cheap if not cheaper than the XT? that should be another great choice to look into for the reasons NHL gave. i would have no problems with choosing this as a cheaper alternative
to the KM 7d as you really don't lose much except a few external switches..
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 4:54 AM   #13
NHL

Tyrant wrote:
Quote:
Hards80, the KM 5D was at 1050$ but its currently out of stock and the dealer has no idea of its availability! lenses are cheap either, a reular 75-300 f4.5-5.6 was priced at 400$
This 70-300 f/4-5.6 with macro is only $130 and it'll come with 'anti-shake' courtesy of the camera
i.e. you save $$$ with every 'IS' lens you buy (after the initial cost of the camera)!!!

BTW the full-time AF manual overide feature is also standard on the KM (Direct Manual Focus) with no need for USM lenses :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:10 PM   #14
Super Moderator

if you love the feel of the canon, by all means get the canon.. how the camera feels to you and how easy it is to navigate the features and such is a very important thing to consider when buying a dslr..

i have the 20d and also have used the 350d/rebXT, image quality wise there is not much difference really.. the XT is a fine little camera and will suit anyone well..
Old Nov 4, 2005, 7:18 AM   #15

Here is a 350D picture taken at night in a high school parking lot using a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens handheld.

mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:18 PM   #16
Super Moderator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Tyrant wrote:
Quote:
Hards80, the KM 5D was at 1050$ but its currently out of stock and the dealer has no idea of its availability! lenses are cheap either, a reular 75-300 f4.5-5.6 was priced at 400$
This 70-300 f/4-5.6 with macro is only $130 and it'll come with 'anti-shake' courtesy of the camera
i.e. you save $$$ with every 'IS' lens you buy (after the initial cost of the camera)!!!

BTW the full-time AF manual overide feature is also standard on the KM (Direct Manual Focus) with no need for USM lenses :idea:

NHL - you and JimC really are trying to get me to buy a 2nd system of cameras aren't you??? my wallet is getting scared.. :blah:
Old Nov 5, 2005, 7:15 AM   #17
NHL

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
NHL - you and JimC really are trying to get me to buy a 2nd system of cameras aren't you??? my wallet is getting scared.. :blah:
Unlike most folks here, I'm not as religious with Canon as I have a collection of lenses from my Maxxum 9i already (and I collect Nikon too): :-) :lol: :G

Think about it for the cost of less than one Canon IS zoom, which is the price for a KM dSLR, all the lenses will have 'anti-shake' instantly :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:08 PM   #18
Super Moderator

stop it NHL... :blah:

i even looked at the 5d today.... not good... i am going to end up buying one of those and will have to buy lenses for 2 different camera systems.... actually i have plenty of canon lenses.. so i guess only have to buy for one... but 2 systems.. do i really NEED that... no.. but it'd sure be fun...