Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:25 AM   #1

hey guys, i've finally decided on getting an SLR and my choices are down to a 350D or D70s. and their is one thing that would close the deal for me and thats if i can get to see a hand held night image taken at 1600 iso with the kit lens (any subject).

i know this may sound strange but really this is whats holding me back.. i saw an image taken in the same way witha friendsD70s and it was ok (a bit noisy tho). and i just want to see how the 350D fares .

Thanks
A.J
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:15 PM   #2

I'd figure any camera at 1600 would be pretty noisy. Especially night photos.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:03 PM   #3

memento wrote:
Quote:
I'd figure any camera at 1600 would be pretty noisy. Especially night photos.
that doesnt need much saying really but what i want is to get a cmparision between the two camera's :-).
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:04 PM   #4

Tyrant wrote:
Quote:
hey guys, i've finally decided on getting an SLR and my choices are down to a 350D or D70s. and their is one thing that would close the deal for me and thats if i can get to see a hand held night image taken at 1600 iso with the kit lens (any subject).

i know this may sound strange but really this is whats holding me back.. i saw an image taken in the same way witha friendsD70s and it was ok (a bit noisy tho). and i just want to see how the 350D fares .

Thanks
A.J
Just curious, but why would you want to make a decision on one camera over the other based on comparing hand-held shots? The guy with the Canon could be rock-steadywhile the guy with the Nikon may drink too much coffee and have the jitters:-)

Both the D70 and XT are nice cameras that can take excellent images. I'd pick one over the other based on the system that you want to invest in. After you spend a lot of $ on lenses it can be very difficult to make the switch from one brand to another.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:05 AM   #5

BobA wrote:
Quote:
Just curious, but why would you want to make a decision on one camera over the other based on comparing hand-held shots? The guy with the Canon could be rock-steadywhile the guy with the Nikon may drink too much coffee and have the jitters:-)

Both the D70 and XT are nice cameras that can take excellent images. I'd pick one over the other based on the system that you want to invest in. After you spend a lot of $ on lenses it can be very difficult to make the switch from one brand to another.

Bob
Hey bob, i asked for that specific type ofshot cause thats how i'll be taking 70% of the pictures. i'm gonna use the cam to cover motorsport events (namely drag races), out door car shows etc.. that take place at night.

the D70 with the kit lens was good (actually really good and sharp!, but a bit noisy) not to mention its cheaper than the 350D. but the 350 just felt so good in my hands (i got small fingers ehehhehe) + got a hang of it imediately when i tested it in the store.. withthe nikon it took me 5 mins to figure out how the on/off switch worked .

i'm so confused betwen the 2 cams.. one is great but has only 6.1 mp, not a bad thing but the 8MP of the canon just seems a bit future proof to me. kit lens on the nikon is sharp but to get same results on the canon means spending more $$$ in the long run.

arrgggggghhhhhhhh .
Old Nov 1, 2005, 4:20 AM   #6
NHL

IMO you're ignoring the most obvious choice:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/07102005.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/07032005.html

... and all the $$$ you'll be saving in lenses (the way of the future to me)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 6:30 AM   #7

the 7D/5D were the first cams i checked out. they felt great, but the prices here are insane!! to give you an idea the 350D (w/ kit lens) is 1000$ (exact ).. nikon is 970$ with a 2 lens combo, KM 7D (w/ kit lens) was 1300$ :S.. (i guess u figured by now that i dont live in the states )
thats why i had to eleminate it as an option .
Old Nov 1, 2005, 6:31 AM   #8

Taken last night, kit lens, ISO 1600. Hand held, no tripod available.

George

Attached Images

GeorgeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 6:46 AM   #9

Or this one taken handheld indoors with available light

Attached Images

GeorgeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 7:44 AM   #10
NHL

Tyrant wrote:
Quote:
the 7D/5D were the first cams i checked out. they felt great, but the prices here are insane!! ... KM 7D (w/ kit lens) was 1300$
You can easily spend that whole amount on one IS zoom alone... (the cost are in the lenses)
Remember all the lenses will have "Anti-Shake" even the cheapest 50mm for indoor :idea:

-> You don't need to crank up the ISO as much - Not that the camera needs it since it's already excellent from this luminance noise graph - courtesy of dpreview:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote