Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:01 AM   #1

Hi everyone. I work professionally in the IT world but I've been doing quite a bit of part time photography lately which I hope to do professionally one day. I have quite a few big events coming up soon and I only have one 20D. What would you suggest as a good backup for the camera. I was thinking the 350D which I can keep a tele lens on and my 20 with a WA. Bare in mind, in South Africa a 20D costs 2 to 3 times an average monthly salary.

Any thoughts/suggestions
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:33 AM   #2

John - The question of money being part of the equation........

Consider a good used 20D as backup. Why?
You could have both bodies setup with the same parameters. If you had to switch quickly - it would be a great time saver.

My wife uses my 300D and I use HER as my backup. Some difference in the color response - but overall works quite well.

a good used body (considering it as a backup) should last you a very long time.

www.pbase.com/jpferguson

Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:23 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice - where would the best place be to buy a secondhand 20D body?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:07 PM   #4

One problem you'll have is that the DRebel family of cameras have a different interface than the 10D/20D cameras. So switching between them might be difficult.

You might consider, if resolution isn't an issue, of getting a used 10D. Still a very good camera.

You might have to check news papers. I know in the US, I'd check with a company that I know that deals a lot in used camera gear. Or I'd check the Want Ad section of local papers.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 6:07 PM   #5
Super Moderator

the interfaces are still similar enough that i don't think changing between a 350d and a 20d would pose much of a problem.. so i really think the 350d is the ideal backup for a 20d if you are trying to save a little money.. its a great little camera with image quality that for the most part is identical to the 20d..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:42 PM   #6

I also have a 300d as a backup. So far I haven't needed to use it, but I'm sure the time will come. I've only done 4 weddings, and by the way if I never do another it would be ok with me. I'm not sure how much I would trust just picking a used camera and tossing it my camera bag for a backup. I would sure check it out pretty good before any kind of event.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:51 AM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've thought about the 10D, but apparently the digital canon lenses don't work on it. Right now I'm torn between a new 350D and a second hand 20D
Old Nov 3, 2005, 1:37 PM   #8

You are absolutely correct, the EF-S lenses will not work on the 10D.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:13 PM   #9

JohnReid wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've thought about the 10D, but apparently the digital canon lenses don't work on it. Right now I'm torn between a new 350D and a second hand 20D
Hey John, we have a few things in common. I work in IT by day, and shoot professionally during almost every other waking moment... Anyways, I have a 20D and a Rebel XT (350D) for shooting weddings. I keep my normal lens on the 20D, and my Rebel XT slung over my other shoulder with either a 15mm fisheye or 70-200 lens, depending on the environment. This is not only VERY handy to keep me from having to change lenses during a crucial moment, but it is comfortable to know I have two working cameras with me at all times.

However, having worked with both cameras, I much prefer the 20D interface. Also, it would be a bit more convenient to work with identical cameras in this type of environment, as I move from camera to camera quickly and have to re-acclimate ,yself to each inerface as I do so. That said, I do appreciate the small size and weight of the Rebel XT when carrying this much gear....

Hope this helps.

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote