Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:13 PM   #1

Hi, I was wondering if someone who has used the 20d and the 7d could help me out. I looking for a good slr and these are the two I am seriously looking at. I like the 5fps and image quality of the 20d, but i also like the IS and all the exterior manual controls on the 7d. Which feature really blows you away,I like to use all manual controls, but I do alot of sports photography. Are the manual controls for the 20d all in the menu screen? Is it worth it for 5fps?

Cheers
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:34 PM   #2
Super Moderator

if you do sports.. you will want the 20d.. the frame rate is faster and the autofocus is much better in action situations.. plus, the 7d's AS does not have a panning mode for sports such as the IS lenses from Canon in the ranges you will be looking do..

they are both fine camera's, but for sports i think the nod goes to the 20d..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 2:05 AM   #3
Super Moderator

And it's not as though the 20D has a smooth exterior with all the settings only accessible via menus.

With a bit of practice there's very little you have to take your eye away from the viewfinder for.

Certainly adjusting Aperture, shutter speed, active focus point and exposure lock is very easily done through the dials without taking the camera from your eye.

To change WB, ISO, Drive mode, AF mode, metering mode is all done through the top lcd, so no fiddly menus there either. It's one button push at the top of the camera then turning the dial. If you wanted to take the trouble I'm sure you could learn to do it without taking your eye from the viewfinder.

I'm not saying that Nikon and Minolta don't have better ergonomics, but there is at least a case for saying that Canon put the stuff you don't want to change often in menus and the stuff you do want to change while shooting is easily accessible.

You really should go to a store and "test drive" both cameras.

I don't shoot action stuff often, but when I was at the British Grand Prix this year I took maybe 300+ shots of the Red Arrows aerobatic team in the space of 10 mins, using JPEG Large Fine and I never hit the buffer once. I was shooting 5fps a lot of the time.

The 20D is a fine sports camera indeed.

I saw a number of UK magazine reviews of the 7D when it first came out and they all said basically that it was a lovely camera but the AF was very slow and often failed completely in poor light; they found it to be worse than every other DSLR they had tested in this regard.

I have no personal experience of the camera though so this is just hearsay, and there have been firware updates since which have apparently improved matters, but it would worry me if I wanted to do sports photography. You really need to try them both out.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 6:30 AM   #4
NHL

Obviously if you need 5fps then 3fps wouldn't cut it
However I wouldn't say that 3fps is not good for sport:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15656255

IMO it's a matter of shooting style, some folks like to "machine gun" their camera - Others (like myself) do it the old fashion way: one shot at a time! This is no sport but quite small and very fast in single shot mode: :-)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:11 PM   #5
NHL

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
... the 7d's AS does not have a panning mode for sports such as the IS lenses from Canon in the ranges you will be looking do...
I came upon this post today:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12846389
Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:59 PM   #6
Super Moderator

darnit NHL, i told you to stop or i am going to be out a lot of cash... :blah:

i would have thought the horizontal component of the AS would interfere with the panning, but maybe if you are panning at a semi-constant velocity, it doesnt see see that as shake and then will act like a lens in panning mode? i am just theorizing here though..
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:35 PM   #7
NHL

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
darnit NHL, i told you to stop or i am going to be out a lot of cash... :blah:
Another gentle reminder... :-) :lol: :-)
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15778359
Old Nov 10, 2005, 2:57 PM   #8
Super Moderator

LOL.... :blah: