Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:35 AM   #11

I don't think that Elements 2.0 can convert RAW files. You should check to be sure. If true, then when you view the CF card using Elements 2.0 it won't list them. I bet it only lists file format it understands (unless you can switch it to list "all files".)

If you have the computer horse power and money, I'd recommend upgrading to CS2. Because you own elements you can get it discounted from $600 to $299. Still expensive, but much better than Elements 2.0 (which I've used, it came with my 10D.) If you like the simpler interface that Elements has, you could upgrade to Element 4.0 (which just came out in the US in the last month or two.) Its much cheaper than the full Photoshop and I believe that can read RAW files.

The problem is with your use of the word "load". I don't know what you mean by that. If you mean you viewed them in the Windows Explorer (the file browser) then the pictures should be there. They will be burried down deep a few directories, but they should be there.

You are correct, treat the RAW image like a negitive. Convert it and edit it as a TIFF (or photoshop's PSD format. Just not JPG.)

The reason that editing it as a JPG is making your pictures look bad is because JPG uses distructive compression. What this means is that to compress better (and it does an amazing job) it alters your picture. If you do this set of steps you will loose image quality:

Edit the image and save it as JPG.
reload the image (either quit the program, start it up again, and load the JPG. Or just load it again from disk.)
Edit the image again and save it.
<repeat>

The key is that each time you save, load and edit the JPG it will loose detail/quality because saving a JPG uses distructive compress . If you just edit, save, edit, save... you haven't reloaded so it won't be editing an image that has already lost quality.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 1:50 PM   #12

Okay......after much time and patience...I think I've got it. I can do it through Photo Professional but you have to open a new file everytime you download, which is okay as at least it keeps them in date order and Photo Album essentially does that too. Just a pain because you can't seem to view them as thumbnails.

I'm downloading from the CF card in the camera and going through Photo Professional at the moment as the wizard didn't give me any options that were able to take RAW files.

You guys, really are amazing....thank you so much for all your help and advice! I only got the 18-55mm lens with the camera which I'm aware is not a great glass so no doubt i'll pop up again looking for a decent lens that will let me get close-ups of my kids, without them knowing of course!

Have a great one! but any further help or advice is gratefully accepted as not sure I want to end up with masses of files running down the side of my screen and no thumbnails!

Mands
momof4nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:12 AM   #13
Super Moderator

momof4nz wrote:
Quote:
Okay......after much time and patience...I think I've got it. I can do it through Photo Professional but you have to open a new file everytime you download, which is okay as at least it keeps them in date order and Photo Album essentially does that too. Just a pain because you can't seem to view them as thumbnails.

I'm downloading from the CF card in the camera and going through Photo Professional at the moment as the wizard didn't give me any options that were able to take RAW files.

Mands

Sounds like a nightmare to me.

Try this:

1. Switch the camera on to the second stop - the "-"rather than the "On" setting.

2. Scroll down the menus to the communications item and change it from "normal" to "ptp".This stops it working with the Canon software but...

3. When you plug in the camera now Windows will see it. Windows will launch the photo wizard - just click cancel on that.

4. Open Windows Explorer [Windows key + E].

5. Look in "My computer" - along with the drive letters there will now be an icon that says "Canon EOS 20D".

6. Click on that icon and you should see all your files there, you can drag 'n drop them to any other folder you like.

7. Download the Microsoft RAW viewer (link referenced above) and you will now be able to see those as thumbnails and in the preview application.

8. Use your favourite RAW converter, by all means start with DPP, but you'll probably move on soon enough to something a bit better.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:42 AM   #14

Mands,

Photoshop and zoombrowser both work with RAW files. You can download the latest versions so that you get the latest camera support. I just tried using the zoom browser raw features and it seems to work very well and doesn't require as much knowledge as the DPP software.

One bit of advice. If you're new to image editing, the default jpeg capturemight be better than your raw editing results. I've spent 15 minutes working in raw on a photo, only to realize that the default jpeg photo was just as good. Many pros use raw settings for photos they know are beingtaken in challegingconditions. To stay in business,theyusually take the best jpeg image they can so that their workflow won'tconsist of the nightmare of processing raw images.

Thanks to the posters here, I justdiscovered something very valuable. I have been taking some in cameramonochome photos. Now I know that if I shoot raw + large jpeg. I can have it both ways, I can modify the raw image and change the setting to standard to get an RGB image. Thanks guys!! Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:28 PM   #15

This is the BEST forum on the net!~ You're all awesome....thanks, guys for all your help. Got it sorted and think you're right, shoot jpeg, alter to tiff, do changes and print. Results are stunning. One happy user! Now off to find a new lens....hmmmmm

Mands
momof4nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 9:41 PM   #16

:idea:I just went thru the same issue of not being able to download RAW from camera (20D) to computer using the USB 2 cable. I use PSE 3. It worked fine with a card reader.But no RAW was downloaded when using the direct camera/computer connection. The solution was I simply changed the 20D communication from "Normal" to "PTP" and everything works fine. Raw+JPEG are downloaded (and viewable/workable) using either PSE3 or Windows XP.
Sierra Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote