Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 6, 2005, 3:27 PM   #1

Hi! Yes I am a newbie who has just sold my Finepix S7000 and come over to this camera.....which I'm using for scrapbooking work I do for a magazine. I haven't shot RAW before but had a play this morning and now they won't download only the jpegs keep appearing. Any help appreciated. I know there must be something I'm not doing but I don't seem to be able to upload the images into Photo Professional that came with the camera....my options are Photoshop, Album or Zoombrowser...all of which I have but none of which will accept the RAW images.:roll:

Any help really appreciated! Not many people in NZ will own the camera but I've been a "lurker" on this forum for a while.

Mands
momof4nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2005, 5:09 PM   #2

You'll have to convert your RAW files to JPGs or TIFFs before they can be edited with the software you're using, though the latest versions of Photoshop and Elements do convert RAW files.

You can either use the software that came with your camera to do the conversion or use any of several available programs to do the conversion. I like BreezeBrowser, but you'll be able to find some good free ones on the Web if you don't like the Canon program.

During the conversion process you'll be able to adjust white balance, saturation and/or sharpness. This capability makes the extra steps brought about by RAW shooting worthwhile.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 5:29 PM   #3

Thanks for that.....I knew I'd have to take the RAW file and convert to tiff or psd but the trouble is when I plug the USB into the camera and the computer, the only files that are uploading are those shot in jpeg (manual) mode......none of the one's where I had it set in RAW and played with the apertures, etc.

How do I get these up onto the screen? Don't mind using Photo Professional but these files aren't even appearing there :?

Especially frustrating since I'd specifically bought the camera because I need to do a lot of manipulation for scrapbook work and the jpegs just weren't cutting it.

Any HELP!!!!!!!! would be awesome.

Mands
Old Nov 6, 2005, 5:40 PM   #4

This will open them for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 5:47 PM   #5

THANKS!!! Off to download it now. Do I open the images there, convert to Tiff, then take over to the Professional programme?

Mands
Old Nov 6, 2005, 8:28 PM   #6

That programme isn't working either....it adds the Run Programme icon to the desktop but then when I do all the installation, their is no icon and if I try to open it from the Programme Files it come up with a small warning box saying there is file parts missing!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Nothing is ever simple is it!!! Anyone got any other suggestions about what I am doing wrong?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks, Mands
Old Nov 6, 2005, 8:40 PM   #7

While the MS RAW viewer might help, it certainly isn't required.
We need more detail about what you are doing.

When you say:
"The only files that are uploading are those shot in jpeg..."

how are you loading them? What software are you using? Or are you trying to do it directly from the OS (viewing the CF card in the camera as a hard disk)? This makes a HUGE difference in how we help you.

In other words, describe in detail what you do after you take pictures and just before you start editing them. I don't care if they are JPG or RAW. for example, this is what I do:
  • I put the CF card into my CF reader (in your case, you connect your camera to your computer.)[/*]
  • Canon nests their images a few directories deep, with 100 images in each directory. I move down through the directories until I find the images.[/*]
  • I look at the dates when I took the pictures. Some times I'm lazy and I don't download right away. Then select all from the oldest date and to control-c for copy.
    [/*]
  • I go into my "photo original" directory. I check to see if there is a directory named after the year the pictures were taken (almost certainly yes.) If there isn't I make it. Either way, I go into it.[/*]
  • I check to see if there is a directory with the same name as the year_month (for example 2005_09). If it's missing I create it. Either way, I go into it.[/*]
  • I check to see if there is a directory with the same name as the year_month_day (for example 2005_09_21.) If it's missing I create it. Either way, I go into it.[/*]
  • I copy all the files from that date on the CF card into this directory. Note I don't "move" I copy. This is important and intentional.[/*]
  • I do the rest for all the other images on that CF card, and any others that I haven't downloaded the images off of yet.
    [/*]
That is the type of detail we need. In my case, when I view the CF card from the Windows Explorer, the RAW files are just there.

If you are browsing the CF card/Camera via the windows file browser, then the images should be listed. You won't be able to open them, but that is expected (the program vsch1 linked to can do that.)

If you are download them with another program we need to know what program.

If you have PhotoShop CS or CS2, both of those versions can decode the Canon RAW format for the 20D. You might have to down load the new version of Camera RAW - version 2.3 is the last for CS, and it will work. I use it all the time. CS2 can handle the 20D without extra software. The link is here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2701

You can use the MS tool for decoding RAW files, but since you already own PhotoShop... if you have a version that supports RAW files it is almost certainly true that it has a better interface than the Microsoft tool. Either way, you'll want edit the file in PS any ways so why go through the trouble of using two programs when one will do it well?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 8:51 PM   #8

I'm trying to load the images direct from my CF card into the computer...don't care what programme I use.....but have Photoshop Elements 2.0 and several other programmes. I know once I've got the RAW image on the computer I'll need to alter it to TIFF to muck around with it.....but keep the RAW image as my original negative.....RIGHT??? It was just with the JPEGS I found what started crisp ended up being not so great after 10-12 changes.

Thanks for any help.

Mands
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:40 AM   #9

To avoid image degradation, the first thing to do after opening a jpeg file the first time is to save it as a TIF file, then do your editing on the TIF version.

------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:08 AM   #10
Super Moderator

momof4nz wrote:
Quote:
I'm trying to load the images direct from my CF card into the computer...don't care what programme I use.....but have Photoshop Elements 2.0 and several other programmes. I know once I've got the RAW image on the computer I'll need to alter it to TIFF to muck around with it.....but keep the RAW image as my original negative.....RIGHT??? It was just with the JPEGS I found what started crisp ended up being not so great after 10-12 changes.

Thanks for any help.

Mands
How are you trying to download it? Be very specific.

You say from the CF card - but where is the CF card - still in the camera? In a CF reader? Somewhere else?

When you are trying to download from the CF card, what program are you using?

Windows Explorer, The Microsoft Scanner and Photo Wizard, Photoshop, a Canon program - if so which,some otherprogram?

There are probably about 100 permutations of all of these variables, so unless you tell us in detail we can't help.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote