Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 6, 2005, 5:22 PM   #1

Does the cam have sepia photo effect (b&w I know it has)?

Couldn't find it in the details. Thanks.
Jay Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2005, 8:43 PM   #2

It is almost certainly true that you could do a better job from a program like photoshop than an incamera algorithm could do.

I can only think of a few reasons why you'd want to do it incamera. Why do you want that?

You can download the manual for the 350D from this web page. I'm sure it will tell you that and more.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=11154

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:51 PM   #3

Hey Jay,

You can choose for sepia in the PARAMETERS menu, then you have to pick the B/W option and then in the toning menu pick sepia.

Hope it helps.

Aldana
Aldans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:16 AM   #4

"It is almost certainly true that you could do a better job from a program like photoshop than an incamera algorithm could do."

I thought incamera would do better, cause it can apply the sepia right when snapping the pic. And it's way more simple anyway.

I checked the Instruction Manual and Win Software Instruction Manual, but only the first had one (1) mention of the sepia thing: Few lines of picking a Toning Effect.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:18 AM   #5

"You can choose for sepia in the PARAMETERS menu, then you have to pick the B/W option and then in the toning menu pick sepia."

Thanks. Can you post a pic or pics showing the results while using the method? I don't have the 350D yet.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:42 AM   #6

The problem is that the in-camera conversion will be limited by the processing power in the camera and its inability to do anything complex (it has to be fast.)

This doesn't mean that it can't do a good job. It probably does. But I would bet that you have much more flexability (and therefor get exactly the results you want, as opposed to the only Sepia converstion they offer) if you did it yourself in a graphical editor.

On the other hand, it is much easier to do it automatically. I can appreciate that. It all depends on if you find its results good enough.

Eric
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:54 AM   #7
Super Moderator

One good option is to shoot RAW + JPG.

Any parameter settings like B&W, Sepia, etc. are applied in-camera to the JPG. This will give you a very good idea of what you might get from better post-processing on the PC.

The RAW file is of course just raw data so none of the B&W or Sepia effects are applied.

If the in-camera results aren't good enough but you like the photo, you can then choose to do processing from the RAW file.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:49 AM   #8

Interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that.
I like it. Why make more work for yourself if the "automatic" one is good enough?

Eric
Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:52 AM   #9

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that.
I like it. Why make more work for yourself if the "automatic" one is good enough?

Eric
Well, one reason is that you can shoot in color and then decide to convert to sepia later, but you can't shoot in jpg sepia and then decide to see it in color...

Also, if you like Sepia, you should really experiment with Photoshop's duotone mode. The image below was a tritone I believe, using black, red, and yellow:

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.con
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 2:52 PM   #10

Jay Zero wrote:
Quote:
"You can choose for sepia in the PARAMETERS menu, then you have to pick the B/W option and then in the toning menu pick sepia."

Thanks. Can you post a pic or pics showing the results while using the method? I don't have the 350D yet.
Hey, sorry for the delay. I just took 2 pictures, one color and one sepia so you can compare. If it doesnt work, check the attachment.

Hope it helps.

Aldans

Attached Images

Aldans is offline   Reply With Quote