Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 15, 2005, 1:11 AM   #1

I love these forums and I dont get to stop by enough but I browse the threads and so many topics are the same: Should I wait for the next gen camera, when in is the 30D coming out, when will full frame sensors be main stream. Why is all this important? The next gen camera wont make you a better photographer it may give you more tools and enable more possibilities but it has nothing to do with your photography.

When I got my DRebel I knew nothing of DSLR's or SLR's and I love my camera more now then I did after the fisrt 90 days. My first hard challenge with my Rebel 30 days after I got it was shoting a wedding and that was a nightmare. I though with all this technology shouldnt it be easy, shouldnt it make anything possible!?! At that point I hid it but I hated my camera becuase I couldnt get it to do what I wanted it to do with what I had. It took me a long time to learn how to do what I want to do and Im glad I got my Rebel and I dont look at the $2500 worth of optics as a waste but as the best money I spent.

So my point! If you want a DSLR do your homework, know what your getting into but dont dwell on the technology and dont think the next gen camera will make it easier for you it wont. more technology = more to learn! So dont wait for the newest and the best technology you will never buy if you do. If I was to buy now I'd still buy a rebel and invest far more into optics til the body dies. Then I'd upgrade knowing how to use a camera and the system involved. That is more important than the newest technology.

Now I step off my soap box
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:31 AM   #2

Feel better

I have to say I tend to agree with you to a large extent. Time agonizing could be time better spent actually taking photos and improving. If you wait 8 months that's 8 months worth of learning and thousands of photographs you would miss. On the other hand, spending $800-$2500 on a camera body is a lot of money and people always have a fear that the next camera (which for canon is about an 18 month life cycle - for digicams it seems less than a year) will have the 'missing' features you really want. One thing I definitely agree on - speculation is pointless. Either there's a camera on the market with the features you want - in which case save the money to buy it - or there isn't, so wait for the next round. I like these forums because I want to learn and improve - and in a few instances share what I've learned. Speculation doesn't really help there - but it's a free 'country'
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 2:15 PM   #3

For forums that are more about using the equipment, check out:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonxt/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon50mm/ - Canon Prime Lenses
http://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/ - Canon L Lenses
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:16 PM   #4

My rant isnt about where can I find a place to learn how to use my equipment. Its about so many people thinking that one generation of an DSLR is a big deal. Becuase if they do they are in for a major culture shock and are not looking at the system.

So many people are worried about the next gen camera the day after the 20D was released the well should I wait for the 30D? posts poped up. If you want a DSLR buy your lenses 1st then think about how long you want to wait for your camera body.

Photography is more than technology its an art that take a lot of work to get right. Seriously if technolgy is what your waiting on then they have these 39MP meduim format camera that wont be outdated for a long time buy one.

But if you want to learn to be a photographer take a few steps back and get to the basics, proper ISO's, F-Stops, Shutter Speeds, a good tripod, and high quality glass will make a better pciture than the most high tech DSLR on auto mode becuase you just got your camera and you dont know how to use it.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:59 AM   #5

I enjoy the forum, mainly because its a chance toview what people are thinking and occasionally I can help someone or receive help. Yes, much of it is simply conversation but its fun. There are more technical forums so you may want to "frequent" those forums. This one is less technical.

Now, about equipment. I have purchased several digitals and Ihave to admit that the equipment has made me a better photographer, reason: instant feeback, I can shoot more, and I can save many of my images when I make mistakes. As I purchased cameras I realized what was missing based on my use of the camera. Yes I really enjoyed the DRebel but it had several shortcomings based on my use. The 20D is a vast improvement, but it has some limitations, again based on my use. I am looking forward to full 35mmm sized sensors because I shoot more closeups and I want to use my older lenses. I would like more pixels because cropping really helps save pictures. So, wishing for the next generation is okay, but I don't waste time waiting. I shoot pics often and enjoy what I have until the next generation comes out that fills a need.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:59 AM   #6

I enjoy the forum, mainly because its a chance toview what people are thinking and occasionally I can help someone or receive help. Yes, much of it is simply conversation but its fun. There are more technical forums so you may want to "frequent" those forums. This one is less technical.

Now, about equipment. I have purchased several digitals and Ihave to admit that the equipment has made me a better photographer, reason: instant feeback, I can shoot more, and I can save many of my images when I make mistakes. As I purchased cameras I realized what was missing based on my use of the camera. Yes I really enjoyed the DRebel but it had several shortcomings based on my use. The 20D is a vast improvement, but it has some limitations, again based on my use. I am looking forward to full 35mmm sized sensors because I shoot more closeups and I want to use my older lenses. I would like more pixels because cropping really helps save pictures. So, wishing for the next generation is okay, but I don't waste time waiting. I shoot pics often and enjoy what I have until the next generation comes out that fills a need.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:43 PM   #7

I totally agree with you Ctrack the xext gen is better and can make you better, but there is so many: should i wait, what should i wait whats for next, should i hold off posts.

I totally agree about talking about technology and the close calls betwenn picks I almost got a 10D but id be lacking in the other things i needed so the DRebel was my call. Plus once you shoot raw WB and some features that can be done with CS2 dont matter as much. but feature like mirror lock up do.
But it was my choise to buy the 70-200 F2.8L and the filters with it rather than the 20D,
I think optics and knowing how to use them make more differnce than the EOS camera they are on within reason.

The other thing that gets me is when I did my last set of senoir pics this year I sold the lady 5 11x14's. I remember people saying the Drebel is only able to do 8x10's or you will lose quality you'd need a 1ds for that but the truth is a high quailty len, good compistion, a very stable tripod, and proper exposure makes great 11x14's on the DRebel.