Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:41 PM   #1

Hi,Every one I am having trouble, when I mount my 550ex on my 20d and set the drive to continous shoot the flash does not trigger thou the flash remains on the ready light goes off.I dont have the same problem in one shot mode:??.

Thanks in advance.
santhosh c.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:55 PM   #2

While this doesn't really help you I use the 550EX with the 20D and it works fine.
The only problem I've had is when I don't push it on the hot-shoe all the way. Then it looks like its working but it will never fire.

but since it works in one mode but not the other I'm guessing that you have a different problem.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:24 PM   #3

if the firing mode is set to TTL autoflash with the custom function, it won't fire. Otherwise it should fire at least for the first picture. I guess I'm not sure why you would set your camera to continous shooting with the flash since it would probably not have time to recharge itself before the next frame.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:17 PM   #4

Actually, I live in continuous and not having it fire for the second image can be handy. I shot wildlife and some times, even with an off-camera flash bracket, the red/steel eye is so bad that the eyes don't look good even after editing (that says something about my editing skills too) but the send shot might have some of the shadows the first doesn't but it does have good eyes.

Eric
Old Nov 17, 2005, 5:54 AM   #5
NHL

santhosh c.j wrote:
Quote:
Hi,Every one I am having trouble, when I mount my 550ex on my 20d and set the drive to continous shoot the flash does not trigger thou the flash remains on the ready light goes off.I dont have the same problem in one shot mode:??.

Thanks in advance.
Caboose is correct your subject is too far - The flash discharged all its energy on the 1st shot and that's why the ready light goes out and subsequent shots did not trigger the flash.

Try to shoot closer to the subject or do an experiment by shooting at a wall about 3ft away -> the flash will work fine in the continuous mode and will keep up with the shutter because it does not have to put out as much power to deplete its stored energy. The ready light will also stay on...

-> You need to use a high-voltage battery pack or a more powerful flash such as a fan-cooled Metz or something because at this rate (more so with an HV pack) you are risking of melting the head! :-) :lol: :G

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I live in continuous and not having it fire for the second image can be handy. I shot wildlife and some times, even with an off-camera flash bracket, the red/steel eye is so bad that the eyes don't look good even after editing (that says something about my editing skills too) but the send shot might have some of the shadows the first doesn't but it does have good eyes.
Eric - You may have set the flash on too strong (i.e. overpowering the ambient light). If the balance is correct the result could be quite pleasing with flash: :O

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:35 AM   #6

Hi, Caboose,

The firing mode is set to ETTL autoflash with all the custom function off and the flash still does not fire.I have noticed a funny problem. The ready light glows when I shift the shooting mode from one shot to continuous shot with the flash mounted and on and the flash trigers for the first frame only. It is not that I use the flash in the continuous shoot mode, it is one of the quirks I noticed and wanted to find out if any of you have come across this problem.

Thanks,

Santhosh.C.J

santhosh c.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:53 AM   #7

NHL, I almost always shoot with around -1 EC on the flash.
The example picture you give won't have steel eyes because the bird is facing away from you. I'm talking about, for example, owl shots where the head is straight on towards you. Then it is very hard to not get reflection out of the eyes with any flash power.

Or the hairy woodpecker shot in my most recent post here:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=11

Yes, its possible that I'm using too much power, but I have already told the camer to use less than it thinks it needs (and its using it as a fill flash in Av, so that reduced the power as well!)

Your guess about the subject being too far away is an interesting guess. I hadn't though about the possability that the flash did fire he just didn't see its effect in the image and therefor thought it hadn't fired. I like that guess.

Eric