Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 19, 2005, 8:36 AM   #1

I'm using EOS Viewer Utility to convert RAW files to jpg on my mac, it take 20 seconds to convert, when I have hundred iof raw, it take a long time tyo convert, can anyone tell me, how long does the lastest pc can do? for example a pc with p3.2mhz with 1g ram, how long does it takes to convert a RAW image?

thanks
Tao Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2005, 10:04 AM   #2

When I convert my Rebel XTCR2files to maximum JPEG with Adobe Camera RAW 3.2 at 8.0MP, 8 bit color, sRGB, at 300ppi, it takes about 6-8 seconds per image depending on if there's another program running or not. I have a P4 2.4GHZ with 2GB of RAM.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 8:07 PM   #3

Do you really need to convert all of the raw images you shoot? I know on every card I have maybe 1 or 2 that are worth printing, some more I will keep that have potential, a lot I will keep and probably delete later, and a several I will delete right away. I only convert the ones I will print. If you want all of the pictures on a card, shoot RAW+Large fine JPEG and extract the JPEGS to a folder, much faster.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:57 PM   #4

I use DPP from Canon to view and edit by 20D CR files. I only convert the files I plan to workwith and possibly print. I make whatever adjustmentt I need with DPP and then final adjustments if necessary on Photo-Elements. DPP on my P4 2Ghz takes 21 seconds. I could probably speed things up if I got a faster processor and more RAM. However since I only extract raw filesI plan to use, I don't worry much about a faster file extraction. I usually keep most of my raw files for practise later. They ones I don't plan to print I usually work onto practise correcting any errors I make. They become practise files.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 6:34 AM   #5

thanks everyone, the reason I asked, because I feel that EOS Viewer Utility is more native in pc, since pc is always cheaper, I was going to build a pc just for converting raw files, and use my mac for retouching.
Tao Ti is offline   Reply With Quote