Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:53 PM   #1

Hi,

Does anyone know why I can't read a CF card fomatted in my new 350D, in my G2 or on my laptop? The card works fine in the 350D. I got the camera a week ago and don't want to format any others in it, in case I make them unusable. I can use cards formatted in the G2 in 350D fine. It appears that the formatting process in the 350D renders the card "invisible" to other devices.

Cheers,

Gem.

periesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2005, 9:37 AM   #2

You should be able to plug in your camera to your pc and see the files on your card.

The only "hidden" situation I find with my 20D is raw files. I have to use the EOS viewer to see or copy raw files off my card.

Have you installed the various drivers and software that come with your camera on your pc?

No expert on the topic, but I wouldn't doubt that cards and formats are somewhat proprietary to makers and models.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 1:50 PM   #3

Hi Terry,
Thanks for your response. Actually I was a little hasty with my question and should have done a little more research before posting it.

My question was prompted by discovering that when I formatted my CF card in my new 350D, it refused to read or indeed be recognised in my trustee ole G2 or my Fujitsu-Siemens laptop. The card worked fine in the 350D and I was able to download the images with no problems via USB. Prior to formatting it in the 350D, it worked fine in both the G2 and the 350D.

I have subsequently discovered that if you plug the CF card into a USB card reader (rather than the CF slot in the laptop itself) it is possible to see the card with no problems. I have no idea why, but I'm guessing it's a peculiarity with the CF slot in my laptop or the drivers for it can only handle FAT16 formatted drives. The reason the G2 didn't recognise the card is that the 350D formats the CF card FAT32. The G2 is definitely FAT16. If I want to use the cards interchangeably, I need to format them FAT16, on the computer or the G2, rather than formatting them on the 350D. This does, however, have several disadvantages. Firstly you can only format cards up to 2Gb as FAT16 and secondly native FAT32 devices are slower at reading, writing or accessing FAT16 devices, so I shan't be doing it.

Sorry if all this is bit geeky but I have been making a living writing computer software for much longer than I should. Hope someone finds this useful.

Cheers,

Gem.

Old Nov 24, 2005, 8:50 PM   #4

Gem,

Thanks for the explanation.

I generally don't use the same card in different cameras.

In fact, once I installed my 2gb CF card in my Canon 20D, it stayed there.

I use the USB cable, permanently plugged into my computer, to upload photos.

I just plug the usb into my camera, turn in on, and start unloading.

The card never leaves my camera.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 9:01 AM   #5

Yup, agreed. I normally never take the CF card out of my camera. Having bought my 350D in a local photography store, I decided to order a 4Gb Sandisk Extreme III from Amazon. Unfortunately, I had the camera several days before the CF card and wanted to try out the camera.

Incidentally, I was looking at getting the 20D as there are some excellent deals around at the moment, but decided to compromise the added features for the lighter, smaller and cheaper 350D. If you haven't tried an Extreme III in your 20D, I really recommend it.

In my 350D, I can shoot continuously in RAW - probably 10 to 12 frames before the camera needs to take a breather to store the images. Even then, its under a second. In contrast my old 1Gb IBM Micro Drive will take about four frames before the camera stops to write the images.

Gem.