Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:24 PM   #11

Again thank you all for your replies, heheh some are very optimistic in their suggestions heheh, my main problem is that i dont live in the states so that makes my choices for lenses very limited + they are very expensive here. the sigma is the cheapest 70-300 i could find at 350$ (USD)

as for memory the 512mb already is costing me 100$ and 1GB is double that, i could get a kingston 1GB card for90$ but i just dont feel right with that card.

i considered ordering online from BH photo, but i didnt get any response to my thread regarding their international shipping services, theirfore it seemed to me that most of the good reviews are from the states (good for you guys, but no help to me )

Peripatetic, thanks for your post and that link. seems like a very useful software .

again thanks for taking the time to reply .
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 4:01 PM   #12

DXO looks interesting, but I wish it supported more of the prime lenses.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:53 PM   #13

Your choice of lenses are excellent..."best bang for the buck". I agree that you'll also want a flash...invest on a Sigma EF-500 DG Super...you get the features of the Canon 550EX for the price of the 420EX.

I see one of the users here, BrianSkibinski, he bought one of my Sigma flashes yesterday from another forum.

As you outgrow your choice of lenses, here are some great alternatives to the "Canon" brand:

Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC vs Canon 17-40mm f4L

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX HSM vs Canon 70-200mm f4L or f2.8L
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:48 AM   #14

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
I see one of the users here, BrianSkibinski, he bought one of my Sigma flashes yesterday from another forum.
Yes I did... and I can't wait to get it. I'll also be buying a normal range 2.8 as soon as I can gather up the cash (after holidays), so this discussion is pretty helpful. I was thinking the Tamron SP AF 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di LD. I've heard that for $350 used it's pretty decent. I also think the 50mm f/1.8 is great choice as a starter. I've had the chance to use a friends for a while and will be getting mine for my birthday (I Hope!).
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 1:20 AM   #15

The Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 was my first "good" lens...had to sell it though at you know where cuz with a crop body like my 20D, I found it not wide enough. I replaced it with a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC, which I find to be just right as far as wideness goes, and it's sharper than my old Tamron. Once in a great while you'll see a preowned Sigma 18-50 f2.8 for about $350, but you'll find more Tamron 28-75 f2.8...lowest I've seen them go for is about $285. If you like the Tamron's range, you may also wanna checkout the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG MACRO. Supposedly a little better build and little better optically than the Tamron...but heavier and only 4yr warranty vs 6yr (US version).

The Canon 50mm f1.8 is definitely a "must have" lens. For $70, it's the best bang for the buck lens.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote