Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 26, 2005, 12:22 PM   #1

I am a brand new member and have taken thousands of pictures on my Sony long barrel which is now darn near obsolete.I have decided to purchase a Canon 20D with the following lenses, which I intend to use primarily for sports photography:

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilized USM;

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM (for indoor sports).

I intend to add a 70-200(or 300) lens later unless there is something I shouldn't pass up on now. I will be taking picturs of basketball and indoor soccer during the winter months and football and soccer thereafter.

In addition to any comments you may have about the equipment above, what are the other "must have" accessories I should purchase with the camera and any specific recommendations you may have. I greatly appreciate any and all advice.

MenloMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2005, 12:26 PM   #2

Could you say which Sony you had before? I want to look at what lens is has.

Indoors you'll only be able to use the 85mm lens as the other won't be fast enough. Your eye is much more sensitive to light than a camera... even though you can see fine in the indoor soccer matches your camera won't. You won't get the shutter speed you'll need to stop the action.

If you're allowed to use a flash in the indoor matches, you might consider getting one. But they don't have the reach you'll want so it might not matter.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 6:54 PM   #3

I agree with Eric, the 85mm is the one you will be able to use. Depending on where you take shots from you might consider the Canon 50mm also. I use that a lot for basketball shots. For my outdoor sports I use a Sigma 70-300mm and a Sigma 170-500mm. Theother thing you might consider is a monopod for outdoor action.

Phil

p.s. if you would like to see some of my work go to: http://www.k1par.com
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 7:47 PM   #4

The Sony is a DSC-F505V with a 10x zoom and a Carl Zeiss lens. You can take strictly single shots and it was really only functional outside for sports. This has been a great camera but is not cutting it for sports shots.

As an aside, I just returned from a wedding in Santa Cruz where there were two professional photographers shooting Canons and I caught myself checking out their lenses.

My thought on the 17-85 is that it is a good deal with a kit, has IS and will be a pretty versatile lens all-around.

I am hoping that the 70-200 lens will be the one for outdoor sports. Thanks for your input.

Old Nov 26, 2005, 7:51 PM   #5

K1Par. Thanks for your input and advice. Your soccer shots are outstanding.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 9:36 PM   #6

That camera doesn't a very long lens (looks large physically.) It is a:
38 - 190mm f/2.8-f/3.3

It is fairly fast, though. That is a very nice aperture. You'll find you'll miss that a lot while shooting sports.

One of the nice things about photography is an aperture is an aperture is an aperture. It doesn't matter which lens or which camera, they all mean the same thing. Look at your old shots and see what focal length and aperture you used most often. then you gotta buy a lens which lets you do the same thing. If you shot at 1/60 f4 130mm, then you'll know that the 85mm will do the trick (it will simulate a 85 * 1.6 = 136mm lens) It won't be exactly the same, but it will be close neough. And an f1.8 lens can be used to shoot at f4. But you wouldn't be able to use the other lens. At 85mm the 17-85 will not be f4, it will be f5.6. So you'll loose 1/2 your light and that loss of shutter speed could be the difference between getting a sharp shot or a blurry one.

Eric
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:35 PM   #7

Thanks Eric. So much is this is new to me so what should I be looking at for flash, memory card, or any other accessories?
Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:56 AM   #8

For sports photography I'd suggest a bit more CF size than you expect to use. You'll take a lot of pictures because you'll keep seeing things that are worth a picture. I would start with a fairly fast 1G card... an 80x Lexar or one of the fast SanDisks. Not the Extreme II's (they are fast, but you're paying extra for a card designed to work in extreme temperatures. You aren't taking pictures of down-hill skiiers, are you?) Those are fast cards, but not worth the extra cost I believe.

The problem with a flash is that they don't have a really long reach and you probably can't use them during sporting events. You can check, but from what I hear from the people on this forum... most events don't let you use a flash. They are nice, I recommedthe 580EX or the 430EX (both by Canon) or one of the Sigma flashes (I don't know them as well, but others here like them.) But you might not be able to use it.

Other accessories. For sports, a monopod might be helpful. Some like them, others don't.

A good bag. I like LowePro bags a lot (I own 3.) They are very well designed both inside and out. They are not cheap, but they'll last you a really long time and they are very comfortable to wear.

An extra battery. I got an after-market (Lenmar, I think) and it's worked great. Some have trouble with them (don't last as long, stop taking a charge after 6 months.) They are *much* cheaper than the Canon batteries and often more powerful. You don't want to run out of battery power.

Beyond that... I don't know. Maybe others will have an idea.

Eric
Old Nov 27, 2005, 2:30 PM   #9

I work for a studio and use a 20d to cover high schoolfootball,soccer,volleyball,basketball and other sports. We use the 70-200mm USM 2.8 lens with very good results. We also have the new 580 EX flash. Outdoors we are of course under stadium lighting which would be different than indoors. For soccer the 20mm zoom allows plenty of range.

Best of luck! Happy shooting!

Trique Daddi

Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 3:15 PM   #10

This is excellent information and is exactly what I need. Is the 70-200/f2.8 sufficient indoors for volleyball and basketball without a flash?