Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 27, 2005, 1:37 PM   #1

With the 20D, you can view your photos on a TV screen directly from the camera using the video cable provided. Is it possible to do the same thing with a laptop? Someone suggested purchasing a TV tuner card to go into the laptop. Does anyone do this presently or have suggestions about hardware and software to purchase.

My friend has a Fugi camera and he can view his shots as taken right on the laptop via firewire. I am unaware of a way to do that with the 20D.

Thanks in advance.

Phil
philsla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2005, 9:41 PM   #2

Why not just download your photos to your laptop, then view them?

At least you'd have your photos backed up.

Just use the USB cable and connect the camera to your PC.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:56 PM   #3

If you use the remote capture software from canon you can control your camera settings from your computer and let the hard drive act as a super Flash Card. I do not believe you can view the camera's picturellive on the computer. The picture you shoot can be saved directly to the computer's hard drive and viewed by the file utility viewer. I have done that with the DRebel. However, I saw no need for this capability. Other than seeing a large picture before you shoot, why would you want to do that??
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:41 PM   #4

Thanks for all your suggestions. The setup my friend has that I described is pretty nice. I helped him with a party where he took posed photos of all the guests and the host together in front of a fireplace. As we would take the photo, they appeared on the screeen of the laptop. We could clearly see if someone had their eyes closed or if something was not right about the pose. It bascially replaced the LCD on the camera with the screen of the laptop. It is much easier to view from the laptop. The software also make thumbnails of the previous photos taken so at any time, you could just choose a previous picture to view. I was just curious if Canon had some such setup.

Phil
philsla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 6:46 PM   #5

I like to use the slide program that comes with irfanview. It is a freeware program that can be downloaded from this link http://www.irfanview.com/ You can use the usb cable to connect to your laptop and view the files off the card in the camera with irfanview
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:35 AM   #6

Kinda funny you should mention this.. I was trying to do something like this too...

Thanks for the link!

R~
rhett7660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:45 PM   #7

philsla wrote:
Quote:
With the 20D, you can view your photos on a TV screen directly from the camera using the video cable provided. Is it possible to do the same thing with a laptop? Someone suggested purchasing a TV tuner card to go into the laptop. Does anyone do this presently or have suggestions about hardware and software to purchase.

My friend has a Fugi camera and he can view his shots as taken right on the laptop via firewire. I am unaware of a way to do that with the 20D.

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Hi sorry for the late reply

Yes you can do it with the 20d with the software provided with your camera, it is called EOS viewer utility, you do not need a tuner card or any other kind of card, just plug the usb into the laptop ( camera turned OFF ) turn on the EOS veiwer utility, turn the camera back on, then on the toolbar at the top you will see an icon of a camera ( hover mouse it says capture or something )if you press that it opens a window which will let you alter some things on your camera ( aperture, speed, ISO etc you can even use timer remote (just like the add on you can buy TRC 80) ) then all you do is press the spacebar ( or the camera icon )and the picture will be captured and saved into your hard drive ( no copy will be on your Cameras flash card )

Someone wanted know why you would use it, well it's there :lol:, but I actually use it to remotely capture pictures of my bird station which is just outside mybay window, I can watch the birds from my armchair and when one comes along that I think is a nice shot I just hit the spacebar, that way I do not scare the birds away.

I am a disabled person and have trouble in the night sometimes, so I once set the 20D on remote with my laptop and time lapsed all night long to see how I was whilst asleep

Hope that answers your questions

Bob
inness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:35 PM   #8

very helpful response and fun use of the functionality.

Cheers
Mark Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote