Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 29, 2005, 4:39 PM   #1

I purchased a Sigma 70-300mm APO super macro (for myDR)from ebay . The seller claimed the lens is in perfect shape and it looks in mint condition.Theunusual problem I'm having is this: I'm able to take indoor low-med light photoswithout any problem. If I move outdoors to brighter light,my cam locks up with a error 99. Another example: Itook a picture of my hallway (med light) and turned and took a photo shooting out the window (brighter light). The first photo snapped fine but the second locked up and got the error. I like the lens and want to keep it. Anybody have any ideas? I've scanned the forums for the error but didn't see anything about my specific problem. Thanks in advance.

soukups is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:38 PM   #2
NHL

Have you try the same thing with a different battery?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 7:56 PM   #3

Not yet, I'm currently at work but will try a fully charged bat when I get home. I've seen some references to this on other posts, hope it works. Thanks!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:39 AM   #4

A fresh battery did not help. I'm going to try to clean the contacts but because the lens works (in low light), I don't think thats the problem. I called Sigma, they want me to ship them the lens. IREALLY want to avoid this if possible. Anybody else have any experience with this problem?I've read plenty about the 99 error and rechipping but I'm confused about the lens working/ not working depending on the light amount.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:20 PM   #5

I have a follow up question. I've heard others say that they trade in lenses and get a credit for a new one. Where is this done? Is it directly with the manufacturer or is it with the local camera shop? I'd be willing to buy a new one if I can get some credit for the old lens.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:58 AM   #6

Have you tried using a different CF card? I remember reading about Err99 somewhere. I thought it could be due to faulty CF.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:15 AM   #7

Thanks. my other lens works fine (efs) so it shouldn't be the card. I'm going to send it back to Sigma and hope for the best. I paid very little for it on ebay so a few extra bucks to get it to work won't bother me.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 10:57 AM   #8

The reason it works in low light is due to the fact that The aperture is stuck, either physically or inability to electronically communicate with the camera. You said you get the error 99 when pointing at a brighter subject. Clean the contacts and shoot in aperture prefered and see if you are able to control the aperture. The only way to clear the error is to remove the lens and power up again. I have one lens {Sigma} that acts this way once in a great while. I can't explain what happens but I feel certain it is a problem with the aperture and it sounds like you are having the same issues.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:45 PM   #9

It sounds like the lens and camera aren't communicating. This is most likely a result of the contacts on the lens. Try cleaning them with a pencil eraser. Literally "erase" the contacts of the lens with the eraser. This can resolve communications problems.

FYI, I had the same issue with a used Sigma 15mm, and the eraser trick helped, but still had the occasional glitch. I ended up getting a refund from the seller, even though he reported that he did not have this issue with the lens.

Hope this helps.

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 4:10 PM   #10

Thanks for the tips. I did clean the contacts, no help. I played with the aperture,I put the cam in 'm' mode and kept it at f4, I was able to take pics in darkAND bright settings. As soon as I stopped up (or is it down), I got the error. The customer service at Sigma wants me to send it back. Does anyone know if this is a rechip issue or a defect? Also, how much does this cost for a non-warranty repair. Thanks again for all the responses.