Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:27 PM   #11

Gibson,

I think that would get the job done!

Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:27 PM   #12

Man, I know nothing.....thank god for forums like this, you guys are awesome.
RKeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:03 PM   #13

To add to this... What I did.. Is for my OS drive and program drive I have it on a Sata drive at 10K rpm.... Then I have another 10k for say a scratch disk.. then I have 2 hard drives 250gigs each for storage..... I have all this connected to my serverthat just houses my photo/video...

The 10k hard drives are only 74gigs each... but the speed is very nice. I mainly built this for video, but when you do a batch of photos and run an action over them in photoshop it is very nice and very fast...

Processor.. others have mentioned, duel core... Mem.... 1-2 gigs.. Mem is so cheap these days.........

If you are going to do a raid striped, I would look into a good raid card. I haven't had much luck with the built in raid card on the mother board... both Gigi and MSI crashed on me losing lots of info and stuff... And trying to recover items off of a striped raid config can be expensive... But if you get a good raid card, you can awsome results... especially if you have the 10k drives.... I just didn't want to take the chance......personal experience only, lots have and do this...

I would also look into dual dvd recorder drives.. I also back up alot of stuff on dvd now... Another way to save space...... With the amount of horse power you have, I have had little or no trouble burning two disks at the same time...

I really want a mac, but I am holding out till the intel ones come out and hopefully the price will drop, drop alot.....

Of course this all depends on your budget too.....

Hope this helps........

R~

rhett7660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 4:00 PM   #14

rhett7660 wrote:
Quote:
To add to this... What I did.. Is for my OS drive and program drive I have it on a Sata drive at 10K rpm.... Then I have another 10k for say a scratch disk.. then I have 2 hard drives 250gigs each for storage..... I have all this connected to my serverthat just houses my photo/video...
As a software / computer engineer.... that is one of the sexiest things I've ever read... feel free to call me a dork :-)

A note about my RAID comment... it would be extremely fast, but it assumes that you have a nice backup plan in place. The dual DVD burner advice isn't bad either (especially now that DVD dual layer burners are less than $40)
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 4:27 PM   #15

Quote:
As a software / computer engineer.... that is one of the sexiest things I've ever read... feel free to call me a dork :-)

LOL.... Nah, because I am a dork too.....

:-)

R~
rhett7660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:18 AM   #16

Just an idea to speed up photoshop in a pc you will want fast storage and if you want fast storage Gigabyte I-Ram may be for you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...yte/index.html

Im gonna buy one once I get my last 2 lenses and new camera body.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:00 AM   #17

Now to be clear, it depends on what you want.

Good looking expensive for its power, closed system : Mac OSX rules.

Standard PC with better specs than macs but at lower prices : a Celeron D PC (more than 335/336/337 is useless because doesn't fit the lower bandwidth with its lower cache).

Great PC not power hunger (like dual cores pentium 4 D) : Dual core Athlon 64 x2, and I recommend the 3800+ x2, best for the bucks.

Now newer Pentium 4D the 9x (920 and more) series will be on par with Athlons needing less power. So power box and fans will have to cope with less heat and will make noise and heating acceptable. But those newer serie of Pentium 4 will also have virtualization that may let you work on multiple systems at the same time, like linux and Mac OSX x86 and Windows XP at the same time. You have to wait until january to get one of those and Apple will then also make clear the point whether their new mac with x86 PC processor will also run PC systems (Apple will never permit legally the opposite).
janlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:20 PM   #18

I just went through this and have one thing to add. You might want to consider a system the will allow you to use the 64 bit version of XP. As I understand it, photoshop is already compatable with it, and you will gain a little more speed. It will also somewhat "future proof" your system as more and more programs are offered as 64 bit programs. I would do this onlyif you have to buy a new copy of XP - to me it wasn't worth it because I already had the current 32 bit ver.
At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :blah:
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:26 AM   #19

Dual or dual core cpus (or dual dual core!) is a must. AMDs dual core solution is much better than Intels. Photoshop is multithreaded so it will take advantage of all the CPUs. I would put 4gb of RAM in there and consider running xp64.
lowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:30 AM   #20

Does anyone have any views on what graphics cards to use?

I'm also building a new machine primarily for Photoshop CS2 use and have always used Matrox cards in the past. They have proved rock solid with great 2D image quality. They are absolutely useless for 3D work but then I never play games or do any 3D modeling so that is of no consequence to me.

Past experience with the "standard" cards available (nVidia and ATI) is that they are great at 3D but truely aweful at 2D (fuzzy and bad colours). Is this still the case?

The only problem I have with using a Matrox in the new machine is that I want PCI-E (all the new motherboards have this now and AGP is dying rapidly so I don't want to be stuck with a redundant technology). Matrox are only just starting to migrate from AGP to PCI-E and the only real candidate at the moment is a P650. The problem is that this is much more expensive than the AGP version of the P650 (though this is probaly more down to the 128MB memory against the AGP's 32MB) and that the PCI-E version has a cooling fan (again probably down to the extra memory). I want this machine to be silent and I've always found graphics card fans to be the noisiest component in a PC.

I could of course take the fan off the P650 PCI-E and fit a Zalman passive cooler but that's a hassle and just makes the card even more expensive (in the UK £172 for P650 + £23 for Zalman).

The rest of the components I went for are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Zalman Aero Flower CPU Cooler
Asus A8N-E nForce4 motherboard
2x1GB PC3200 Geil Value RAM
Matrox P650 PCI-E 128MB
2 x Samsung SpinPoint SATA 250GB HDD mirrored
1 x Samsung SpinPoint ATA-133 250GB HDD in IcyBox external enclosure
NEC ND4550 16x16 Dual Layer DVD RW
QTechnology Ultra-Quiet 400W PSU
AcoustiCase silent case
This all ends up at around £1,250 including VAT (which I can claim back so it's really only £1,066 in total :-))Regards
Philippe
(And yes, I'm in IT as well :?)

Canon 20D, EF-S 18-55 (I've only just got the camera and already have L lust though an EF-S 17-85 is more likely as the next purchase) & EF 35-105 (retrieved from my old EOS 630 in the loft)
ariaudo is offline   Reply With Quote