Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:22 PM   #21

I just built a machine and yours is similar. I would suggest that you go to the Asus web site and check the compatabiltiy of your ram with that mobo.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 3:02 PM   #22

Was this just general advise or are you highlighting a specific issue with the copatibility of the Geil memory? I've been specifically advised that it is pefectly compatible with the Asus motherboard.
ariaudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 8:12 PM   #23

Some of the Asus mobos are very picky about memory. Who advised you that that memory was compatable?
You may want to go to http://www.anandtech.com and check what people say on the forums there about your mobo.
Ron
STill can't make a hot link here. :?:angry:
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:52 PM   #24

I didn't read all the posts so I apologize if this has been said already. For what you're doing if the budget will allow it I wouldspend the $$and get a dual core chip (Athlon X2 or Pentium D) for the purpose of improved multitasking. Even the fastest single core chips will be bogged down if you're doing things like batch image processing or any type of encoding making any other task you perform while it's crunching numbers very slow since the single processor will be tied up. Dual core will let you run multiple apps almost seamlessly and the price to jump to dual core isn't that much ($150+/-) over a single core processor. The newest AMD and Intel motherboards will let you drop in a dual core chip without any hardware changes from a single core. If you know how to build computers and flash a BIOS this is easy. If you don't it would be worth buying a pre-built box from a good name brand anyway. Dual core, 1 GB RAM minimum and a huge hard drive or two will be all you need and won't cost too much. Even basic video cards will handle Photoshop with ease.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:01 AM   #25

I've been getting advise from a UK forum at Overclockers. They were sure that the memory was fine with the board and there were even people there who were running that exact combination without any problems.

The cpu I've chosen is a dual core for precisely the multi-tasking/threading reasons you state.

Philippe
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:21 AM   #26

I've just been on the Anandtech forum and searching through the A8N-E thread I've found 4 people so far who are running the Geil PC3200 memory in an A8N-E board without problems.

Philippe
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:26 PM   #27

That's great - I just wanted you to be sure that your memory will work. I'm using OCZ memory and it's not on the Asus list either. The people at OCZ gave me the settings for their memory and I've not had a problem either.
Ron
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:20 AM   #28

i just wanted to chime in here. everyone boasting about the PCs with HT technology and 3GHz processors and dual cores are misled. sure, you can get a pretty fast computer for a little chunk of cash. these 3GHz processors are fast but are slowed down by there 800MHz frontside buses(that's a huge bottle neck). on the mac side you get 1GHz to 1.25GHz frontside buses with the dual 2.0 to the quad 2.5. yes, the mac may be more money up front, but in the long run it'll cost you less money and less headaches(ie virus' and spyware). your work flow on a mac will be faster becasue lock-ups in osx tiger are almost non-existent! i work in a PC enviorment and work on a mac , and all the PC users complain how many timesĀ* they have to restart their computers or have to quit other apps to speed up there computer perfomance. i constanly have open 7-8 apps which includes the full CS suite with no issues on a G4 tower that's 3+ years old. aslo if your into shooting RAW hands down go with a mac because of aperature which is unbeatably the most innovative post-processing software to date will supercharge your workflow.
pspeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:41 PM   #29

pspeyer,

I agree with what your saying, but seriously if you price out the mac, the "money up front" is probably more like "considerably more money up front".

I don't have any facts to back me up, but you're probably talking twice the money up front for a mac simularily configured to a PC clone (minus the "bus" advantage).

HOwever, if cash is no object and absolute Mercedes workflow is the objective, the mac is probably the way to go.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:28 AM   #30
Super Moderator

Quote:
i just wanted to chime in here. everyone boasting about the PCs with HT technology and 3GHz processors and dual cores are misled. sure, you can get a pretty fast computer for a little chunk of cash. these 3GHz processors are fast but are slowed down by there 800MHz frontside buses(that's a huge bottle neck). on the mac side you get 1GHz to 1.25GHz frontside buses with the dual 2.0 to the quad 2.5. yes, the mac may be more money up front, but in the long run it'll cost you less money and less headaches(ie virus' and spyware). your work flow on a mac will be faster becasue lock-ups in osx tiger are almost non-existent! i work in a PC enviorment and work on a mac , and all the PC users complain how many times they have to restart their computers or have to quit other apps to speed up there computer perfomance. i constanly have open 7-8 apps which includes the full CS suite with no issues on a G4 tower that's 3+ years old. aslo if your into shooting RAW hands down go with a mac because of aperature which is unbeatably the most innovative post-processing software to date will supercharge your workflow.
Hohum. Standard Mac zealot rubbish.

I use both Macs and PCs and there is frankly almost nothing to choose between them.

I actually find I have more lockups with OSX than XP. Which is to say in the last 3 years of using XP I have NEVER - not even once had the OS stop responding. With OSX I have had it happen maybe 2-3 times. Both OSs are now mature and stable and will give no problems if properly administered.

Number of virus or trojan infections in the last 3 years. 0 on Mac. 0 on Windows. Keep your system patched and don't run under an administrator account.

Mac hardware on the laptops is way behind Intel, currently the G5 is very good for desktops, but Athlon and Intel both have very fast workstation chips too.

At the low end IMO Wintel has a cost/performance advantage but the multi-processor G5s are very price competitive with similarly specced Windows boxes with Xeon or Opteron chips.

If you love Macs (and I do) then buy a Mac. But lets not pretend its much more than a personal preference. Both sets of tools (and that's all they are) work very well.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote