Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:54 PM   #41

In your case, it might be the CF card that is the bottleneck? Then it wouldn't matter which interface was faster. Some cards are pretty slow.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:00 AM   #42

I download using not only my camera, but a CF card reader.

My 2gb Microdrive is what it is.
My 1gb Sandisc Ultra II downloads at roughly the same speed regardless of using a card reader.

I can understand how a Lexar 80x CF card could benefit me a little when downloading photos to the computer..... but there is no point in spending the extra cash since thats the only benefit of owning such a fast card. The Rebel XT only writes at a speed equivilent to the Ultra II or Hitachi Microdrive.
Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:50 AM   #43
NHL

Andrew LB wrote:
Quote:
I can understand how a Lexar 80x CF card could benefit me a little when downloading photos to the computer.....
Downloading is never the issue with CF - reading is not the problem because the read cycles with flash are always several magnitude faster than their writes
-> Even Slow cards download @ a high rate! :idea:

The speed only affect the writes, but even then it's camera limited so you can often outspend your camera write capabilty...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 2:07 AM   #44

Actually there is very little difference between firewire and USB 2 unless you are talking about Firewire 800, USB 2 is actually faster than standard Firewire, but there is some more overhead so it comes out about equal. I am actually an Apple fan, and my next laptop will be mac book pro as soon as they come out with the "tablet" version. I think that would be the ultimate portiable editor. My main complaint with PC's is Microsoft. My current system is dual boot XP/Linux. I run mainly in Linux except when doing photoshoping. The system is a year and half old and the windows partion needs to be rebuilt desperatly. The Linux side is running as fast as when new and runs without any virus protection. If Adobe came out with a native Linux version I would uninstall windows all together. Being that OS10 is based on Linux/free bsd it should not be hard. Perhaps once they come out with a native mac intell version it will run under linux natively .

memento wrote:
Quote:
tmilner wrote:
Quote:
RKeaton,

...One thing I have found helpful is a FireWire Compact Flash Card reader. It's much faster than the USB....
very good point! I forgot to mention that. I have been using my firewire reader for years and cringe at the thought of using USB now. At work I have to use USB with a "lesser" camera and it feels like it takes forever.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:23 PM   #45

Speaking abou mac's have you seen they droped the G5 and are going to Intel for chips?
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:19 PM   #46

OK I'm a newbie here and have a Canon 20D. I have a new Dell XPS Laptop and am currently storing photo's in the documents section, "my pictures". I am editing the photos when need edwith the bundled software that came with my camera, mostly with Photoshop Elements 2.0. My camera came with Canon EOS Viewer and I have no idea what this program is for! It also came with Canon Digital Photo Professional which seems like a scaled done version of Photoshop but I need it to convert RAW files to JPEG since PS Elements 2.0 will no do this.

Am I doing this correctly?

Much thanks in advance and if I can ever help any of you with my expertise in drums (my profession), home theater or boats let me know!

Mike
mdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 3:07 AM   #47
Super Moderator

You can download a RAW converter for Elements from the Adobe website. I don't know the link offhand, but it's available for free. Highly recommended.

There are other RAW converters, both free and otherwise, but the Adobe converter is pretty good and free if you have Elements or CS.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:13 AM   #48

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
You can download a RAW converter for Elements from the Adobe website. I don't know the link offhand, but it's available for free. Highly recommended.

There are other RAW converters, both free and otherwise, but the Adobe converter is pretty good and free if you have Elements or CS.
Thanks! I appreciate the advice!

Mike
mdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:54 AM   #49

Another free converter is RAW Shooters Essential.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote