Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 30, 2005, 8:46 AM   #1

I see from the Steve's Digicams review that the image aspect ratio is 3:2 on the Canon EOS350D, not 4:3 as is normal for digital cameras. I'm about to buy this camera but I'm wondering how this will affect the use of it. 3:2 is the same as 35mm slides, so one can see part of the logic behind this.

My main worry is that digital projectors are 4:3, so I'll either lose the left and right ends of pictures or have black gaps top and bottom. Computer screens are normally also 4:3 (except so-called 'widescreen' ones).

Has anyone else found this aspect ratio a problem? I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks!!
fatty arbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:13 AM   #2

You can crop 3:2 into 4:3.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:36 AM   #3

That is the obvious solution, I agree, but it means that the photographer always has to be aware that he'll lose some of his picture (left, right or both) after it's been taken and he is wasting a good proportion of his 8 megapixels!

And what a bind, having to go into Photoshop for every slide!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:34 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Hmm, many (most?) DSLR users came from 35mm film cameras which have the 3:2 ratio. So it seems perfectly natural. All DSLRs except the Olympus use 3:2 I believe. The Olympus uses 4:3, so if you're set on keeping that aspect ratio then perhaps you should be looking at them for your camera.

On the other hand, I have a widescreen monitor and a widescreen TV so the 3:2 ratio works out just fine for me. :blah:

I presume digital projectors will catch up at some point, but it really does seem to me that just about everything is going widescreen these days. Of course that's largely driven by the fact that people want to watch movies in their native 3:2 format, which is where the 35mm film camera format came from originally too.

So I guess you might say the market seems to be converging on widescreen. Think of it as a long term investment.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:01 PM   #5

Peripatetic, thanks very much for that! I've been a 35mm film amateur for many years, always taking slides, and since I moved over to digital a few years ago, I've started to digitise my slides (<1% progress on that front so far!).

When I got my first digital camera I bought a digital projector as well, so I'm already familiar with cropping to 4:3 when I convert my old slides.

The EOS350D will be my first try at dSLR so I'm still very new to these. I was completely unaware that dSLRs are commonly 3:2, so that does make me feel better. As you say, it looks as though that's the way we're going so I'll have to look on it as leading the way!

Incidentally I do have a ‘widescreen' notebook (on which I'm writing this) but for most normal uses I regard it as a ‘shortscreen', as my digital pictures lose their tops and bottoms and web pages, documents and everything else are truncated in height.