Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:50 PM   #1

Hello All.My 20D, which worked flawlessly as of yesterday, suddenly will not auto-focus.¬* When I press the shutter button to the half-way point (to activate auto-focus) the focus moves back and forth as though it's trying to focus.¬* If an when it finally locks into focus (and the focus beep sounds) the image is way out of focus.Here's what I've tried to remedy the problem:-Updated the firmaware.-Tried several¬*different CF cards.-Removed the main battery and replaced it.-Removed the backup battery and replaced it.-Reset the camera via menu settings.None of the above seem to help.¬* I sent an email to Canon's customer support but thought I'd also check here to see if anyone else has run across this problem.¬*¬*By the way, the lens I'm using is the Canon EFS 17mm to 85mm that was bundled with the camera.Any and all help appreciated.Thanks!
funyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:08 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hmm, I know this may sound silly, but have you checked that you didn't accidentally set the AF/MF button on the lens to MF?

Obvious I know, but I did it accidentally once and it took me 20mins to figure out what was wrong.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:52 AM   #3

If it was set on MF it wouldn't hunt. What were you trying to autofocus on? The 20D will usually hunt on patterns or one solid color item (like a wall). The camera will usually hunt once (foward and back) and then make a best guess.

Are the photos taken in focus? The fact that's it's beeping means the camera found a good focus point and I think this might be your problem: check to make sure you didn't bump the eyepiece (specifically the dioptric adjustment [see page 38 in manual]). If you rotated that everything will be out of focus in the viewfinder.

I did the same thing when I got my 20D and it threw me off.
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:44 AM   #4

What focusing mode are you in?

Is the Diopter on the view finder correct? I find that my gets occasionally shifted when I pick it up.

You didn't stay if you removed and replaced the lens. Have you done that? Have you tried different lenses?

Brian is right, have you checked to see if the image is actually in focus on your computer?

What is the light light? A camera will huntin low light... I assume this isn't low light, but you didn't say so I gotta ask. Note that your eye can see in much lower light than your camera can. So don't just assume if its good for you it is good for the camera.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 4:39 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
If it was set on MF it wouldn't hunt.
Ah yes I see I missed half the original post. Which was in white text. Which is pretty much invisible when not using the black-background theme.

I wish people would just post in the default text colour. *sigh*

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 8:49 AM   #6

Sorry, I didn't realize I had an option to post in different text colors or background colors.¬* I just joined the forum and my screen came up white on black by default.I checked the diopter and it's correct.¬* I had someone else look at it too, just because I wear glasses and I don't trust my fuzzy eyes.¬* If the camera camera beeps as though it has locked into focus and the resulting digital image is out of focus. ¬* ¬*This seems to be apply in low¬*light as well as bright light.¬* So, the camera (or lens) seems to "think" it's in focus.¬* I have removed the lens and the contacts¬*appear to be OK.¬* I only have 1 lens so I'll need to go to the camera store to see if they will let me try a different lens.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 4:21 PM   #7

Nuts. I'm running out of ideas quickly.
Tell is how it goes if you can test it with another lens.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 5:34 PM   #8

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, I know this may sound silly, but have you checked that you didn't accidentally set the AF/MF button on the lens to MF?

Obvious I know, but I did it accidentally once and it took me 20mins to figure out what was wrong.
Why is it that little switch that we changed makes us freak out when we forget to turn it back to AF, I always turn my lenses to MF when I put them in my bag. When I 1st stared doing that I though there needs to be a light saying if its off or on to save myself the hell of oh on im just and idiot it was on MF.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:19 PM   #9

Are you sure you don't have it set to AI servo instead of single shot? I had the same problem when I first got my 20D, and once I set it back to single shot all was well in the world again.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:32 PM   #10

Thanks for all of the helpful replies.¬* Sadly the problem does not seem to be as simple as the AF button, servo, battery, etc.¬* I took the EOS to a camera store and they tried my lens on another EOS and had the same problem.¬* They tried one of their lenses on my camera and there was no problem.¬* Bummer.¬* At least it's not a problem with the camera itself, and¬*luckily I'm still¬*within¬*warrantee.¬* The lens is on its way to Canon.¬* I've bever dealt with Canon's warantee service.¬* Anyone know what their turnaround on repairs is?¬*