Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:10 PM   #1

I am considering the Rebel. I will be taking pictures from a boat and am interested in the extent that a stabilizer would benefit my picture taking.

Will a canon stabilizer lens work with the rebel?

Interested in general thougths.
trout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:28 PM   #2

Any Canon stabilized EF or EF-S (IS) lens will work with a Digital Rebel or Rebel XT. You can probably get good pictures with a non-stabilized lens from a boat as well, by increasing shutter speed.

A word of caution... no digital camera likes to get wet. Even sprayed water isn't good for them.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the caution. I will have a special case for it and I plan to avoid using it under conditions where spray is a danger.

I am a novice and would appreciate your input. I was thinking that for telephoto images I would gain some advantage with the added benefit of the stabilizer. Would I? I also would want to use the auto settings. I am assuming the action option would be what I would want. Any thoughst you have on this issue and lenses would be appreciated.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 4:20 PM   #4

Every year I go on a vacation up the cast and photograph from a boat. I use the Canon 100-400 IS lens, and I feel the IS saves me a lot. I bet my shots wouldn't be as good without it.

To get a higher shutter speed I don't have many choice:
I wouldn't want to hand hold the 400 f2.8 (and it's really expensive.)
The 400 f4 DO is really light, made for hiking and hand holding. And it has IS. But its also really expensive. I can't justify it as I've already got the 600mm f4 IS.

So without going to very expensive lenses, I can't get more light. You choices are the 400 f5.6 or the 100-400 IS (tops out at f5.6.) Get the IS. The 100-400 isn't as good optically, but it is still good and the IS will help a lot on a boat.

Oohhhh. You didn't say what type of water & boat you'll be on. If its the ocean (waves and tide) then IS is really great. If its a big boat or calm water... that is another matter. Then you might be able to get away without IS.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 6:28 PM   #5

Eric:

Thanks so much for your response. As a matter of fact I use it in your neck of the ocean. I fish Cape Cod.

I want to look at the stuff you posted and will probably have more questions.

Again, thanks
Old Dec 2, 2005, 6:58 PM   #6

I looked the lens up. I am a newbie and have a lot to learn. While I am prepared to spend the money if I have to the lens, as I understand it will cost over $1000.00.

The lens looked very large which made me wonder about its range. This will expose my ignorance but I am unclear about the range for a lens like this. I will be hand holding it in a boat. This will not be a problem? Could you share with me the range appropriate for this. How close would it be good for and how far away?

JK
Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:10 PM   #7
djb

trout, are you talking about the 100-400mm is lens?? if so it will focus to abour 6.5 feet at all focal lengths. if you're really bouncing around in a boat, it may be hard to see what you're shooting at 400mm but the IS will help more than a non-IS lens. I use the 100-400mm and love it. But, for what I've been doing with it lately (small birds and in flight pics) it doesn't have the reach I need. There are a few of us that use this lens so check out the pictures we've taken and see if the quality of pictures is what you want.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 12:15 AM   #8

I photograph on Cape Cod several times a year... or more if I'm lucky. I'm actually co-teaching a class at the Wellfleet Bay Mass Audubon Sanctuary next Summer on digital photography.

What are you going to shoot from a boat? This is your biggest question which will lead you towards what you need in a lens. Djb is right, 400mm for small birds (or birds in general) is the absolute minimum. In the right situations 400mm works great, in others you'll find youself wanting even more reach

The 100-400 is not a small lens, but it is easily hand-held. It takes practice and skill, but you can definitely do it. This was taken hand-held from a boat Boston Whaler:
http://esmith.marx7.org/web_posts/osprey_nest1.jpg

(from up where I go in Maine.)

The 100-400 is expensive at around $1,200 or so. Maybe a touch more. But if you need reach, it is a great lens for the price. Good close focusing distance (so it's good for flowers, pets, even people at some distance) but also 400mm for some reach. Optically its very good. Not "Great" but "Great" in a long lens will almost always cost you more money (the 400mm f5.6 is slightly better and basically the same price.)

I can understand your hesitation in spending that much money. I have 3 things to say about that:
1 - Don't spend more than you're comfortable. This is a hobby, so don't over extend yourself. Save a little longer if you need to.
2 - Think about what you need, not what you want. What do you shoot? How do you shoot? Those questions should lead you to which lens will be right for you. With that type of reasoning you raise the chances of getting the right lens. A Camera and Lens are a tool. They enable you to take the pictures you want to take. Get the right tools, and the job is easier.
3 - A lens will last you 20+ years if you take care of it. So if they are expensive... they will last (or you'll resell them and get back some of that money.) A camera body will be considered "obsolete" in a few short years. The 100-400 will be a good lens for many, many years.

So tell us what you shoot and we'll try to help you with a lens choice. We understand the where (from a boat) but now we need more info.

Eric
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:21 AM   #9

I am an avid fly fisherman which is my primary focus for the camera. Here are a few of the things I would like to photograph.

1. Recently, I was off race point and there was a krill event going on. In an extraordinary set of circumstances there were two hump back whales feeding withing 300 yards of the beach. There was also a feeding frenzy of striped bass and blue fish. At several points the whale passed among the feeding fish and diving birds. They werewithin fifty yardsof me. I was using a little canon A70. As an experienced photographer I expect you know that the picture made them look as though they were in the far distance and when I blew it up and cropped it, the picture was more interesting but it lost its quality.

2. We came upon a whale shark in June. The light was great and the fish was just below the surface with his massive fin exposed. We had to back off a ways to get all of him in the picture. I had purchased a polaroid filter for my little camera. While I could see him clearly with my eyes, the picture again made the fin appear far off and it failed to catch any image below the surface.

3. Related to item #1, I do a lot of siight fishing in June in shallow water. I would love to be able to photograph the fish cruising the shallow flats.

4. I want to be able to take the standard pictures of friends in my boat.

5. I have come on blue fin tuna feeding on top. They were large fish in the 500 pound category and they would breach as they fed. The fishwere moving at great rates of speed and they are boat shy so they were about 100 yards out. At certain pointsyou could see thelarge blue fish theywere chasing leaping from thewater in front of them. I would love to have been able to photograph this.

6. Iam not a birder (who knows maybe some day I will be) so in general I do not have a need to takeshots of small objectssitting in trees at great distances.

7. I understand the issue of investment and I am not afraid to spend what I need to spend.

Canon has a special going on to sell their Rebel camera, the one that retailsfor about $1000.00. If youbuythe camera with the standard lens and another canon lens you can save $180.00. If you buyjust the camera they are offering a rebate of $75.00.

I also have a friend who is a saltwater fishing guide who has aNikon D70 who is thinking of upgrading and may sell me his camera used. While heguides on saltwater I know he takes extremely good care of his equipment.

Thanks for your feed back.

BTW,do you know the dates for your course? My in-laws have a house in Wellfleet right near the Audobon sanctuary.

Old Dec 3, 2005, 12:32 PM   #10

Thanks for the extra info!

The dates are being formalized right now, but I believe they are:
July 27(night) , 28, 29, 30 (all day each day) (Thursday -> Sunday)
I'm teaching it with Shawn Carry, who runs:
http://www.migrationproductions.com
And as you'll see if you go to that link, a stunning photographer. I can produce good stuff, he often produces good stuff. And if you take photography seriously, you'll understand the difference between those statements.

Note that the class hasn't been advertised yet, but I believe they will start to advertise in the next few weeks. I'm told it fills up fast, but I've never taught there before so I don't know that from personal experience.

Sounds like you do have a mix of needs. 100 to 150 yards is quite far out. But often your subjects are quite large (which obviously works to your advantage.) Does your friend with the D70 shoot similar subjects? Do you know what lens he uses? Are you happy with the size of the subjects in his images? That might help guide you.

The 100-400 is probably your best bet because it's a good zoom range for distance work and you won't want to spend the money on something with more reach. The shots of people on the boat will be difficult. After the sensor crop factor it will be 160mm, which is rather long. Depending on boat size, this will be too much focal length.

The size of the lens might cause you trouble... it's not an easy lens to just hang on your side and ignore while doing other things (like fly fishing.) It's fairly easy to handle, but still... if you're doing something else it might get in the way. If you can look at the lens before buying it I would suggest you check it out (unfortunately I'm not going to the Cape any time soon, or we could meet up.) There are stores in the Boston area that carry the lens so if you can't find it on the Cape and were already coming to Boston you could easily check it out (Hunt Photo, Zeff and Calumet come to mind.)

The front element on the 100-400 is kinda large. You can get a polarizer for it (I think) but it will be expensive (around $100?) You've been warned.

That sight with the hump backs (#1) sounds damn impressive to me. Wish I'd been there! While I almost exclusively photograph birds, I just enjoy nature.

If you were to consider the D70, I thought I should mention this. It's a good camera body and while I know very little about it I also have generally heard good things about it. But the 80-400 Nikon lens is not as good as the Canon 100-400. It's AF is stunningly slow. Since you'll be taking pictures of action-based things, AF speed matters. So if you get the D70 instead of the DRebel, consider getting the Sigma 80-400. It also has image stabilization. I don't know if it's faster focusing, but it might be... and it's worth checking because the 80-400 will drive you insane its so slow.

Eric