Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:05 AM   #1

Should I try to get it right before the actual shooting ,or could I just take care of it after in photoshop - Would there be any quality compromises whatsoever when doing it in post processing (in RAW)?

Thanks,

Amir
Amiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2005, 12:33 PM   #2

The raw data will be the same, regardless of what white balance you set. Whether you set the white balance, or leave it at AWB, it's just a suggestion to the post-processing software.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 2:06 PM   #3

Ewok wrote:
Quote:
The raw data will be the same, regardless of what white balance you set. Whether you set the white balance, or leave it at AWB, it's just a suggestion to the post-processing software.
Wow, I didn't know RAW was that thorough...
So in-camera white balance settings have no effect whatsoever when shooting in RAW format right? just like sharpness settings and the parameter modes?
I guess I got lucky with the few RAW images I shot , they were all spot on with the white balance and required no WB Post Processing.

Thanks,

Amir
Amiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 5:32 PM   #4

Thats one of the many advantages to RAW, the thing I like about raw is you also keep 12 bits per channel so any editing or fixes you have to do can be done with much higher quality compared to JPEG.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 12:03 AM   #5

Naturally, you should always try to get the settings correct in the camera before you take the picture. It mean less post processing. RAW does rock though and since you're having to process the file anyway, it makes just as much sense to keep AWB and adjust it if it guess's incorrectly.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote