Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 4, 2005, 7:33 PM   #1

I would like to invest in the stroboframe r4b, but I have a few questions.

The cable release, does it work with the 10d?
The use of the battery grip, I am tring to vision how the camera flips with the grip, or is it a no go?

I have a limited budget in the flash bracket area.

Much info would do wonders.

Thanks in advance
Dominic
Attached Images

ducttapedominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2005, 8:36 AM   #2

Why not look at the Stroboframe Press-T?

Here's the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

The difference between the Press-Tand their convention "flip" bracket is this one is designed to flip the flash the "correct" way if you have the battery pack mounted so the vertical release is up. That and you hold the outfit by the camera, not the bracket, so the entire outfit is easier to deal with for an extended period.

I've used the bracket you are asking about with a manual focus 35mm SLR- it is quite bulky and no, the 10D does not have a conventional threaded cable release socket so the cable release won't work. The only caveat I have with the Press-T is I believe it has been discontinued. I called a local dealer to get one- they didn't have one in stock & couldn't find it in the product catalog. B&H still has it on their website & I'm glad I ordered it- it works great on a digital SLR, with or without the accessory battery pack.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:12 AM   #3

Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks.
ducttapedominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:01 AM   #4

may i ask...wtf is that?

it looks like somethin dentists used bck in the 60's!
mikeadams1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:44 PM   #5

Hi Mike.

That contraption is a bracket used to mount a flash unit well above the lens to avoid, shadows and redeye.

The platform behind the smaller wooden piece is where the camera mounts. that base has a flip mechanism, allowing the camera to be moved from horizontal to vertical position. Your right hand would rest against the small wooden piece with the fingers from that hand available to zoom/focus the lens. Your left hand would grip the larger wooden piece. The loose cable release fits within a holder so it can be pressed by your left hand while the screw-in part of the release would be screwed into the threaded area of the release button on the camera. I used that exact bracket with a Pentax 645 medium format camera and, with another clamping accessory, mounted a huge potato masher type flash unit. It was darn heavy outfit when put together, but the flash effects were much nicer than simply mounting a unit to the hotshoe.

The problem today is that relatively few digital cameras other than, possibly, a pro model or two feature a mechanical release mechanism on the body where you can screw the cable release. The Pro-T model I related above, used with an off-camera TTL flash cord,is a much better, lighter, smalleroption that feels little different in use from just mounting the flash on the camera shoe.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote