Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:07 AM   #1

If I can get the D50 and XT for the same packaged price with 2 lenses, which one should I buy?

I like that the XT has 3 frames per second and the 8MP will be a little sharper.

thanks
TigerfanLSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:10 PM   #2

The Rebel XT is a step above the D50, so I would go with the XT. The D70s is roughly the equivalent of the XT, so that would be a better comparison. Both are great camera's, so you can't really make a bad choice. Eeny-meeny-miney-moe?
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:26 PM   #3

I'd disagree with SlapNTickleJr, I feel from the reviews Ive read that the D50 is better than the XT in real world use but on paper the XT does look better. I should also mention this isnt not becuse Im a nikon guy Im an L-Glass freak. On the other hand I dont recommend a person buying a camera body from any brand based off one camera body.

If your having a hard time maybe you shouldnt focus on whats better the XT or the D50 but the system your buying and what is going to meet your needs. What lenses, flash/flashes, and other parts are you going to need for what you want to do? Are they cheaper for one brand or the other? What about your upgrade options if you find you need more than the D50 or XT where do you go from there? What if you buy into a system and hate it are you gonna rebuy all that for another brands gear?

Lots to think about other than what camera body your gonna get and I hope you find one that works for you! :G
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:36 AM   #4

My recommendation doesn't come from reading reviews, but from using the camera's. The D50 is an awesome camera. I have seen 20" x 30" prints from it that are truly amazing.Canon doesn't have a camera in the D50 range. Feature and price-wise the D50 is in the same family as the KM 5D, E-500,and the Pentax *ist DS/DL/DS2. The Rebel XT feature and price-wise, is in the same family as the D70s and KM 7D.

Other families that fill roughly the same niche feature and price-wise

20D, D200, E-1(some say 7D)

5D and the S3 ProI guess

1d MKII N and D2H

D2x ahead of the previous two

1ds MKII all alone
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:55 AM   #5

I purchased the Rebel XT. I couldn't pass up the triple rebate.
thanks for all the input.
TigerfanLSU is offline   Reply With Quote