Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 10, 2005, 3:29 AM   #1

I was taking a bundle of shots of a kids party when the auto focus just stopped on my rebel. It hunts for a focus and does not get it, button wont trigger. Ive tried different lenses etc. It will work fine on manual setting but as soon as you put it to auto, it wont work. Im not keen on sending it away, any Ideas??
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2005, 7:09 AM   #2

check to make sure you didn't accidently move it to AI Servo instead of one shot. This same thing happened to me with my 20D and once I switched back to single shot all was well.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 9:14 AM   #3

exactly what is that and how do i check it?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:09 AM   #4

well I had to re-check my manual on my 300d. Now that I have looked at that I think the 300d only goes into AI Servo if you are in the sports mode selected. So unless you have your camera set to sports mode, you may have othre problems with the camera. So sorry this may not be the answer you where looking for.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:57 PM   #5

looks like I have to take it in. Ive checked all manner of things to no avail. It seems the lights on the inside are not working and I believe that the beam of light that is the auto focus on the outside of the camera is not working, maybe a globe:-)I will take it in tommorow, hope it wont be away too long though and that it is worth fixing, not 2 years old yet.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:08 AM   #6

You're right about the AI Servo on the 300d...

Unless you've installed the firmware hack (Wasia,Undutchables)- in which case you can select AI-Servo, but it will just hunt forever. If you have done this, you'll probably know which custom menu settings you've tweaked (and Canon may or may not be so happy about fixing it).

sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:45 AM   #7

I have not installed anything into the camera. I am pretty sure the problem is the mirror inside the camera, there is a second mirror behind that. The camera is now shooting in auto but only half the photo shows up. Camera is out of warranty by 4 monthsand canon Australia has a five week turn around and I have to send it to Sydney from here in western Australia! Im not keen on my camera traveling all around the country so Ive discovered a camera electronic repair company in my nearest city which is about 500ks from me so I will be going to see them on Saturday, at least they can give me a quote and I will see if is worth fixing. I really don't want to upgrade yet and would prefer to fix or replace this with another 300d as i have spent too much on stuff plus the battery grip wont fit any other model:roll:If I could get a 300d body new at a reasonable price Id do that but I cant see that happening
Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:50 AM   #8

There is a fairly common failure that shows the problem you describe (mine failed this way). The secondary auto-focus mirror comes off its pivot on the back of the main mirror.

If you look at the main mirror and see a rectangular shape reflected in the centre thats whats happened. I was lucky as mine was covered by an extended warranty.

Its a quick repair, so I hope you are up and running again soon
brian1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:00 AM   #9

thanks and how has the camera been since the repair job?
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:45 PM   #10

Absolutely fine - I have the impression that the focus may " focus lock" quicker than before but couldn't quantify it.
brian1208 is offline   Reply With Quote