Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:20 PM   #1

I was wondering....I am getting a digital SLR to replace my 35mm SLR. When I went to the camera shop to "browse" I was told that the digital SLR throws off your wide angle. So instead of having lets say a 28mm lens that it shortens it's view by 1.6. So instead of having the 28mm you now have a 45mm lense. They boy I was talking to didn't know a whole lot & couldn't seem to answer anything as to why this happens or anything. Could anyone here shed some light on this for me???? It would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!!
annodomini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:24 PM   #2

sensor is 1.6x smaller than 35 mm film
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:40 PM   #3

Not a big deal any more. 28mm becoming a 43mm (1.6 factor). There are plenty of great wide lenses both Canon and secondary manuafacturers. Plus, if you are into telephoto (zoom or prime) you now have extra reach! There are some great beneifts to the "1.6" factor and the only negative I can think of is that you'll have to get an extra wide lens to replace your current standard wide angles (28mm). But then again that's fun too, new gear!!
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 2:41 PM   #4

Thanks bernabeu!!!

Ctrack-actually for me I really need the wide angle coverage. I do lots of weddings & for group shots I really need that coverage. I LOVE telephoto though. I do a lot of collage work on babies so the telephoto "boost" would be nice!!!! Thanks for the info. And like you said....new gear is always fun!!!! :-)
Old Dec 15, 2005, 5:45 PM   #5

This seems to have suddenly become an issue, but in reality, it's always been an issue. The size of your media is what determines whether a lens is wide angle or telephoto or normal. The focal length of a lens is simply the distance of the lens from the film plane when focused at infinity. A 28mm lens is 28mm from the film plane in practice(you should be able to take a ruler and measure from the front element to the film plane), in reality because of lens groups within the lens, the actual measured distance is shorter.
A 50mm lens give or take is considered a "normal" lens on a 35mm camera. The 50mm produces around a 40 degree field of view, which is near what your eyes would see without a camera.
If you get a Hassleblad 2 1/4 x 2 1/4, because of the larger film, you would need an 80mm lens to produce a 40 degree FOV, and a 50mm would be considered a wide angle lens.
If you get a 4x5 view camera a "normal" lens would have to be around 150mm to produce the same 40 degree FOV.
The "crop factor" has been around for a long time, with the advent of digital SLRs it seems to have come to the forefront of discussion. In reality, crop factors have always been around and your camera format will determine what distance from the film plane(focal length)is WA, normal, or Tele.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:45 PM   #6

eosthree~I understand that the size of my media is what determines wide, normal or telephoto and I understand about the focal length and FOV discussion you posted. However, being that the digital & the film SLR bodies were the same I didn't realize that the media would change. I think the reason it has come to the forefront with digital cameras is because people thought that since the bodies are the same that the "output" (the FOV and media) would remain the same. Idid some research on digital &haveread that my canon lenses can be used on digital EOS canon cameras and nothing had stated about the media change soso of course I wouldn't thinkof something like that. Thanks for all the valuable info. You posted a lot ofgood information!!! :G
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:54 PM   #7

True.

But since there are plenty of new lenses to compensate for the "factor"in a formatthat most peopleknow, 35mm its not much of an issue. If you get the kit lens 18-55 you get the equivalent 28mm coverage of the 35mm film cameras. I wonder how many folks actually had wide lenses 16mm, 17 mm lenses? I would think not many.I have really appreciated the Tokina 12-24mm. If and when I move to "fullframe" I know that my 17-40L will continue to give me the great wide shots I get with the 20D. Its plain fun!

Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:15 PM   #8

Ctrack~I agree...it isn't much of an issue since you can get the 16 or 17!! It will take some "getting used to" when I document my settings but I think I will really like going digital!!!! :-)
Old Dec 17, 2005, 1:25 AM   #9

This only happens if your dSLR sensor is not a full-frame sensor, like on canon 10D/20D/rebel, 1DMk2 etc.

On full-frame bodies like canon 5D and 1dS, there is no change.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 2:45 AM   #10

bobbyz~thanks for the info!!!!