Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 15, 2005, 8:57 PM   #1

warranty on my 300d finished about 4 months ago (naturally:roll: ) Ive done a bit of online research and Im pretty sure my auto-focus problem is to do with the mirror inside having a problem. Tommorow (saturday) Im traveling 500ks to the nearest city to put the camera in for repairs. The firm looking at it says it can be fixed there and from various people and a bit of research Im told it is not a huge job. Does anyone have any Idea of what kind of money Im looking at for repair of this problem??? Canon Australia tells me I have a five week turn around and I would have to send the unit across the country to Sydney so Im not interested in that at all.

Im now looking at trying to get a second 300d body as a backup in case I have problems again, perhaps on Ebay. Not ready to upgrade at present as Ive spent heaps on stuff for this model.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:37 PM   #2

Since you are going independent it would be hard to guess.

Canon charged me $200 to repair/replace shutter assembly on my 300D. I was getting multiple err99s. That was the minimum/standard charge. When you find out let us know.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:14 PM   #3

is that 200 USA?
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:39 AM   #4

Ctrack wrote:
Quote:
Since you are going independent it would be hard to guess.

Canon charged me $200 to repair/replace shutter assembly on my 300D. I was getting multiple err99s. That was the minimum/standard charge. When you find out let us know.

Well it was the mirror that was the problem, broken somehow or come off it's pivot or something, super cheap part but the camera had to be taken apart completely. I was quoted an estimate about $300 Aust (USA $219) but they phoned today to say it was all done (took 4 days) and it has only cost me $257 Aust ($188.36) so Im really happy. As the camera is so far away they offered to courier it back but I told them no way anyone was handling my camera that would not treat it like a raw egg, they did look at me strange when I told them I was a courier:-)My friend is traveling down from the city for Christmas so she will bring it back for me Christmas eve. A whole week without my camera and Im having withdrawal symptoms:lol:
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:21 AM   #5

Sounds about right. Canon actually charged me $184 but added $16 for shipping. I also had to pay for shipping to the canon service center. I wonder how often these things break. My old EF 620 is approaching 20 years and never had a problem. Sorry for the withdrawal pains.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 6:58 AM   #6

I took a film camera into the Outback and it lasted one week before it packed up.

Dust and heat.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 8:07 AM   #7

I think that with my camera it was wear and tear, the camera was dropped onto concrete from about 4 feet in july, still worked after that. Also I shoot a lot of fast shutter wildlife shots and have taken over 13000 in the last year so I guess with all these little electronic parts there is more that can go wrong unlike a film camera. I had a brand new slr film camera that the shutter curtain broke right in the middle of a wedding, I replaced that camera and the next one kept playing up as well so Im happy with the time Ive had out of my rebel considering.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:00 PM   #8

That's bad luck.

Somepro's I know keep a 2nd camera body as a backup.

If they start having any kind of problem with their cam's, out goes the old and in with the new!

Of course, with film camera's these days, replacing a camera isn't that big a deal, given the low price of Canon EOS film cams.

But digital, look out.

If I owned a $7,000 u.s. dollar high end Canon digital and it started having problems , I'd probably have kittens as well!

Terry

Old Dec 23, 2005, 8:13 PM   #9

Well thats why Im not interested in buying a high end digital camera, an upgrade to a 20d when the price drops even more will do me just fine:-)
Old Dec 23, 2005, 8:56 PM   #10

I have the 20D now, but unfortunately it's only dropped about $100 US dollars here in the last year or so.

I saw a guy with a Konica Minolta 5D the other day he bought off Ebay for $600 US dollars without lens.

That's a pretty good deal!

-- Terry