Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:30 AM   #1

Any opinions on the best notebook computer to get for handling photos (storage, backup CD or DVD) while traveling?

I lean toward a PC with 1G RAM and 80-100G HD, but lately I've seen several pros using Apples. The specs indicate longer battery life for the Apple, but I can't see any other advantage.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
leonoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2005, 3:24 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I can highly recommend the Dell Inspiron 9300.

The screen is simply fantastic for photo work. Make sure you get the 7200rpm hard disk and at least 1G RAM.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:12 PM   #3

Get the APPLE. You wont regret.

Apple is like Canon..
waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:35 PM   #4

I know people who like the PowerBooks (Apple.)
I know people who really like the Dell 700m. Not the biggest screen but good power and light.

I'm in the process of looking at laptops and I'll probably get the Dell.

Eric

ps. Personally, I wouldn't buy an Apple until they switched to Intel CPUs. Better long term investment. But I buy PCs and keep them for around 6+ years (after awhile they become the backup machine and the old-old system goes away.)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:23 PM   #5

Definitely get a DVD burner, CDs just can't hold enough data to make them useful for photographs. I also recommend getting an external hard drive for backup. DVDs are a great easily transportable storage device, but nothing is as reliable as magnetic media. You can get a large external drive for very little money and back up all your photos and data quickly. I back up both with DVD and External HD.
I just recently had a nasty crash and because I had become lazy in my backing up, thought I had lost everything from August of this year on. Luckily in doing some extra snooping I found all of my files buried in the original user folder on my HD. I quickly plugged in my external HD and backed up all of my files.
I almost switched to the Dark Side (Apple) recently, but I found I just couldn't get the performance/cost I was looking for there. Apples are very nice machines though, nicely finished and very solid feeling. A professional photog I work with uses nothing but Apple and wouldn't think of switching to PC.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:30 PM   #6

leonoliver wrote:
Quote:
Any opinions on the best notebook computer to get for handling photos (storage, backup CD or DVD) while traveling?

I lean toward a PC with 1G RAM and 80-100G HD, but lately I've seen several pros using Apples. The specs indicate longer battery life for the Apple, but I can't see any other advantage.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

I would recommend the 1G machine for sure, you'll want it for Windows Vista when itreleases next year(btw.. it has some nice features as far as image metadata tagging / storage / archival).

I've had very good luck with Dell, and a reasonable amount of luck with Toshibas and I cycle through machines at least once a year.

I'm currently carrying a Toshiba M3 which has done quite well. The Dell Lat. 610 is a nice piece of hardware for the money as well.
nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:41 PM   #7

The best notebook is a tower pc.

Laptops are difficult to upgrade, expensive, and prone to breakdowns.

The heat alone is enough to fry the internal CD/DVD drive.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:57 AM   #8
Super Moderator

This new forum software absolutely sucks with firefox! Whenever I press quote it only allows me to top-post - aaarg!

Anyway Terry, most airlines won't let you carry a tower pc onto the plane and the battery life is bloody awful and how do you fit your monitor in your carry-on luggage?

Always buy Dell, always get the 3 year international next business day onsite warrantee. Just about anywhere in the world if the laptop breaks down they will come and fix it promptly. We have had laptops fixed in South Africa, UK, Netherlands and Hong Kong. All were bought in the UK. Everytime an engineer came out next day.

When it comes to photo work be careful of laptops:
1. Make 100% sure you have a 7200rpm hard drive. Doing photoshop on a 4200rpm powersaving jobby is no fun believe me!
2. Apple make great kit but their laptops are soooooo slooooow (please don't flame - I have a G4 laptop and it's fabulous, but slow). If you want Apple wait for the new processors.
3. Have a look at a laptop with a really good X-black type monitor. That means some of the Sony Vaios or the Dell Inspiron 9300 or XPS. If you haven't seen those screens then you have no idea what you are missing. They are highly reflective so not good if you work in environments with lots of lights that give reflections but they are just beautiful for photo work and movies (and games too).

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
The best notebook is a tower pc.

Laptops are difficult to upgrade, expensive, and prone to breakdowns.

The heat alone is enough to fry the internal CD/DVD drive.

-- Terry

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 2:47 PM   #9
Super Moderator

i agree.. the dell's 9300 and XPS are the way to go if you can afford it.. the 6000 isn't too bad with the upgraded +monitor if you are on a budget.. get AT LEAST 1gb of memory (preferrably a 1 dim so you can upgrade it to 2gb easily, if you can get 2gb get it, you will not regret it.. and as said, get the fastest harddrive you can..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 4:17 PM   #10

Thanks. Those are great tips. Has anyone had any battery life issues with their notebooks?
leonoliver is offline   Reply With Quote