Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:37 AM   #1

Hi everyone, I'm posting in this forum because I've found the most useful information over here.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm wanting to have a website where I can create galleries and give people the option to order prints or buy the electronic copy, as well as just a space to display photos.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I focus mainly on landscape shooting and if I were to have a site I would group landscape photos per area (for example, if I lived in the states, a Death Valley portfolio, a Joshua Tree portfolio and so on).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Before I actually try develop this myself(don't really know how to), is there any site that can offer me what I'm looking for? I don't mind having to pay for it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks in advance.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:38 AM   #2

Btw, I'm not going to be able to reply for awhile as I'm leaving for Malawi tomorow.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:09 AM   #3
DMW

There are sites out the like Pbase which are free but may not give you all the options you need.

Try http://www.sgalbums.comfor a cost effective option that is fully customisable.

If you want to see how the gallery works you can see an example at http://www.halesworthcameraclub.co.uk Go to gallery.

The gallery is comes ready made and you can change themes in seconds, for the rest of the site you can make your own or choose to have one made to your specifications for a reasonable charge.
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:28 AM   #4

Thanks DMW, does it provide an option to sell photos online?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:42 AM   #5
DMW

I will speak to the host and see if that is easy to arrange.

It is primarily designed for displaying photos but I'm sure there will be a way to sell online.

It may be wise to just show either scaled down or watermarked photos on the site and then take orders for full quality pictures via email.
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:49 PM   #6
Super Moderator

if you choose to set it up yourself.. you can use gallery 2.0 software, there are modules that allow you to set up shopping carts and even outsource the printing to some of the major online printing services.. you can find a link to this software on the bottom of my website..

cheers buddy,
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 9:02 AM   #7

Check out SmugMug.com it may be what you are looking for.
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:13 AM   #8

Thanks so much for all the help everyone- had a great time in Malawi, should have a few photos ready in the next few weeks.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:49 AM   #9

Personally I love smugmug. The people running it are great, and the site itself is extremely flexible. You can have customers order prints. They print the prints from the originals you upload to smugmug. The print lab they use will honor your ICC profiles.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:23 AM   #10

While I'm a big fan of pbase, it doesn't doesn't help you sell your images. It does everything else, though.

smugmug.com might be what you're looking for. I've never used it but from my previous research I believe it does all you're looking for, including selling prints.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote